Days of double-headers - part 2

Long Gun

Two of my all-time favourite movies are Diva and Betty Blue, both directed by Jean Jacques Beineix who also directed ‘Mortal Transfer’ which I saw last night. Though it is several years since he last made a movie, he has lost none of his style. This is a beautiful looking movie, as you would expect, with a great storyline and some excellent characters (and beautiful women), plus some of the most bizarre sexual activity you will see in a ‘mainstream’ movie. In one scene a woman is repeatedly whipped across her breasts and pussy, in another a somewhat deranged DJ frantically shags a rubber doll in a cemetery. Very funny, very sexy, very violent, very clever, very dark …………. I loved it to bits. Added bonus came in the form of the director himself being present for a Q & A session after the movie and he was every bit as sharp and witty as his movies.

In one of those classic ‘TIT’ moments, the young female Thai interpreter untangled the microphone cable and brought the director to the front of the theatre and just as she started to introduce him some bizarre music came booming out of the speakers. Once that was sorted and she tested the mic, she started her introduction again – cue more strange music!! The session over-ran a little though it didn’t really matter as there was only one more movie to run but the staff weren’t having anything interfering with their schedule so in the middle of one of JJ’s responses, the exit doors were opened wide and left open, so that everything was drowned out by the noise from the queues and the foyer!

Anyway, it’s showing again tonight at EGV Discovery Centre at 6.55 pm – last chance – and definitely gets two thumbs up (did I mention that scene??!?)

A little later I watched a Korean movie, ‘Girls’ Night Out’ in which the 3 beautiful co-stars spend half of the movie talking very frankly about sex and the other half shagging. So if you like that sort of thing ….. One is still a virgin but wanks off a lot, one has a regular shagging partner but has never orgasmed and the third just loves shagging.

It passed a couple of hours quite pleasantly, there wasn’t a whole lot more going on than that, the male characters were never really developed to any degree and generally didn’t build a very positive picture of the Korean male, but there was a lot of humour in there, the subtitling was very good, and 3 beautiful, largely naked Korean women. It was funny watching the movie in a predominantly Thai audience who, despite generally being a very educated sample of the population would rarely have encountered sex being discussed this graphically, especially by women. Some of the laughter was very nervous but some of it sounded like it was almost rejoicing in the recognition of familiar situations.

Sadly none of the actresses was available for questioning after the movie.

LG

Archived