Attack On Thai Protest Camp Leaves 2 Dead, 24 Wounded

Flashermac

Michael Yon -

This morning's terrorist attack in Bangkok:

Early this morning there was a terrorist attack on peaceful Whistleblower/PDRC protestors. Most were asleep on the ground. Three grenades were fired from at least one M79, and there was much small arms fire.

After speaking with many witnesses, it appears that the attack during hours of darkness lasted about 40-60 minutes.

Witnesses say the police did not arrive during the attack in the middle of Bangkok until after the fighting ended.

Witnesses say ambulances arrived within minutes.

Three were killed with about 23 wounded.

Based on earlier information, it appeared that the attack may have included an assassination attempt on me. One of the grenades was said to have gone through the window of room 402 at Baandinso Hotel, just beside Democracy Monument. I had been staying in that room until two days ago when customers with earlier reservations took all the rooms.

When I visited the attack site, it became apparent that the M79 gunner likely only got lucky.

The grenade did not go through the window of 402. It blasted through the metal roof and sprayed shrapnel into the room directly above the bed.

Another shot hit in the middle of Democracy Monument, leaving casualties and blood trails. A horrible scene.

The direction of fire can be seen from the grenade splash. Maximum range for an M79 is about 350 meters. Likely firing points should be easy to identify.

Another grenade hit the top of a nearby building, damaging some water works, causing water damage in the building.

Recently I was told that a very accurate M79 attack had occurred against Khun Suthep at the Government House, KPT protest venue. Today I talked with KPT leaders and sat at the same table where Suthep had been sitting. The attack was uncomfortably close but certainly not the work of a pro.

Based on various reports, I formed the idea that someone truly proficient with an M79 had arrived on scene, and had gunned for Suthep and for me. Yet based on further information, my estimate is that goofball terrorists with M79s are launching in the general direction of targets, sometimes causing casualties.

The attackers remind me of random Taliban who cannot hit a stadium other than through luck. Actually, the Taliban were more accurate than these local terrorists. (Some Taliban were good shots, but the attackers in Bangkok are amateurs.)

I am personally very familiar with the M79 due to having carried one in the US Army.

https://www.facebook...chaelYonFanPage