XP service pack warning?

I found this warning on s.c.t. I think, it is worth being reposted here. However, I am not sure if this source is reliable, so make your own judgements ot just keep it in your mind when you are considering an update to SP1. wink.gif

In reply to:

And one last thing readers who're no better than they should be should bear in mind about SP1. Microsoft is going to engineer it so that it won't work on a widely-warezed activation key, which as we recall escaped form a large friend of Microsoft beginning with D. It would appear that Microsoft does not intend application of SP1 to vape systems installed using that key, but simply to freeze them where they are, and to block their ability to use Windows Update. Microsoft has used service packs to disable installations it deemed pirated in the past, and we'd guess it's decided not to do this because it might hit legit systems by mistake, or generate adverse publicity from innocent victims.

Disabling Windows Update access does however up the ante, as it'll at least make it more difficult for readers who're no better than they should be to get hold of updates and patches. Long term it is also logical for Microsoft to try to make this impossible, not just difficult, so it's an area worth watching. And lastly, Microsoft is no doubt aware of considerably more compromised keys for XP than just the one, so we'd actually be surprised if it was just the D one that got nuked in SP1. You have been warned. (Well no, not you but this guy you know, OK?) ®

• 2 weeks later...

Tyhe service pack u are talking about wil be released around September. It really is a Trojan horse kind of thing. MS is releasing the pack to comply with the a court ruling that it should allow users to be able to deactivate/disable certain functions(ie. browser) from the operating system. In other words keeping the operating system as a stand alone program if the user want that. Along with this pack will be a program that will check to see if you have a pirated version of the software based off of your activation code, if you do then your XP will then be limited in it's functionality when you install the service pack.

Thank you. So this thread is serious frown.gif I hope, at Panthip will be some "fixed" SP1 around wink.gif

But why do we care? We all have no pirated things, do we?

Archived