Junta Wants Sweeping Reforms Before Election

Flashermac

roboes et all,

how do one help all the voters even if one truely wanted to given the humongous difference across the country and villages.

even within bkk there is pretty much a flavor of everything thai and where/near flasher lives is almost a red shirt village if im not mistaken (don muang)!

so IF we imagined reforms before election could give a fat kickass start to bringing the interests of thais closer from the poorest farmer to the richest corrupt families well maybe some kind of fair elections with accepted outcome and useful policies may go ahead to make believers and sceptics of thai democrazy party together without a curfew ;)

I may be misinterpreting your post but I think you are talking about 2 different things:

1. changes to the election process

2. party policy changes to improve all Thais’ lives, social mobility and aspirations.

No-one on this site or in the Thai media has yet given a concrete example or even vague hint of what these reforms may be ..although so far 28 people have died for them, Bangkok been disrupted for the last 6 months, and now a coup and military dictatorship that is echoing the same reform mantra.

The way I read it: Suthep and the yellow shirts can’t win any elections because too many people vote against them. Consequently, they want to alter the election process so that even if the majority of Thais vote against them, the yellow shirts can still win (eg. gerrymandering electoral boundaries, stacking parliament with more of their own unelected members). I believe that is unjust.

I believe the yellow shirts need to change their party policies to appeal to a wider voter audience if they want to win an election...improve rural education, more free scholarships for the underprivileged, more clinics, hospitals and affordable treatment in rural areas (health should be a civil right, like education...our American friends may not agree with that), tax incentives for job creation in Isaan, clean running water, improved roads and telecommunications, pension schemes for the elderly, disabled and unemployed where government matches baht for baht citizens’ contributions.

With a free media and TV debates, the various parties can make their pitch and the people have a real choice.

I think excuses such as “This is not the Asian way†“Thailand is different ...you don’t understand†are just bullshit.

:beer: