Thailand Coup: Ex-Pms Thaksin Shinawatra, Yingluck Shinawatra To Establish Government In Exile, Says Lawyer

waerth

I read in another thread that HM has approved the coup? if Takky openly goes against the approved coup... :dunno:

BS as usual. No statements about the coup and Prayuth stated he will not present himself to the palace to seek approval (as was the traditional way after every coup).

Interesting post from a retired diplomat on the US Embassy's Facebook site:

What utter patronizing bollocks, Jeffrey Rock. :barf: :wanker:

>>Democracy cannot flourish where ..vote buying (through populist policies)....

...That’s the whole fucking idea! It just about describes every democracy in the western world. Poli’s make their policy promises, folks vote for them because it’s in their interest, then sometimes (often?) the poli’s break their promises. The voters sometimes (often?) remember the deceit and vote them out of office, giving another party a chance, who in turn promises them something better. It’s up to opposition or new parties in Thailand to offer the voters a better alternative... not take their bat and ball home, and say no-one can play now, and I’m sending my big brother along to make sure nobody does.

>> and undermine the fabric of Thai society. (ho ho ho)

..the fabric of Thai society is paternal feudalism..the plebs in Isaan and the lower castes who managed to infiltrate Bangkok have to get back in their box and not be so uppity, just because they’ve got the vote. Plus the greed factor..the powers that be are getting cramp in their hands because it’s so long since they've had their hands in the till.

>> Remember in our own history for the first 50 years of US democracy. The only people who could vote were land and business owners. We did not extend the vote throughout the country for another 100+years.

...WTF?! What century is Rock in? He wants to apply 18th century repression to 21st century civil rights. Get real, mate.

Rock, get back to Bedrock!

Action against Amsterdam pondered

http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-recent/411690/action-against-amsterdam-pondered

The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) is pondering legal action against Robert Amsterdam, a legal adviser to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, for posting online about the establishment of a government in exile abroad following the coup, Col Winthai Suwari said on Sunday.

The army deputy spokesman said the NCPO will ask the Foreign Affairs Ministry to handle this matter as the suspected offence happened abroad with the aim of inciting unrest.

He said Mr Amsterdam had long committed legal offences in this matter but the authorities had not been able to bring him into the legal process.

At this stage, the authorities would try to block his communications with electronic methods to prevent further confusion, he said.

It's just the way the word is being so often used. Detaining people to "avoid confusion", it's very sort of "my way or the highway". I'm going to suspect the new constitution will probably use that of Burma for a yardstick. Not surprisingly I'd say. Even their statements to the foreign diplomats seem to imply they feel democracy doesn't work in Thailand, "We tried it and it's a mess". Then that absolute almighty of all blunders, "Thailand is different"