Former Minister Chaturon Chaisang Arrested At Thai Foreign Press Club

waerth

Definately a dumb move by the military. They could have waited until Chaturon had left and picked him up then. But no they invaded the FCCT in front of rolling camera's ......

http://prachatai.com/english/node/4037?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+prachataienglish+%28Prachatai+in+English%29

At around 3.30pm of Tuesday, Chaturon Chaisang, former education minister, was arrested at the Foreign Correspondent Club of Thailand (FCCT) shortly after he finished holding press conference there. He was arrested in front of about 100 reporters.

Chaturon was summoned by the coup makers earlier, but he didn't turned himself in. On Tuesday 2pm he held a press conference, giving anti-coup statement.

The following is his statment:

"The report to the coup makers is against my conscience. I have passed several coup d’etat but never been ordered to report myself.

I don’t mean to flee nor to fight underground but am ready to be arrested when the day comes. After this, I insist to use my freedom fighting for the country to become democratic. I urge the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to return the power to the people immediately. I’m demanding peacefully and in accordance with the Article 2 in the Constitution and democratic principle.

As the NCPO has been acquired the power constitutionally already, I’m ready to be arrested by the NCPO and chose to express my civil disobedience. I urge that all the cases against civilians must not be tried in the Martial Court, but tried in the normal procedure.

I urge the NCPO to return the power to the people and return democracy immediately. It should also avoid suppressing the people and allow the people to express opinion and political stance peacefully in order to avoid violence. This is better than push them to fight in other way.

There should be a solution to the conflict in Thai society without violence. The NCPO should release the detainees immediately. If there is a reform, it should open the opportunities for all sides. There is also people who are against the 2007 Constitution. I hope the NCPO will also listen to comments from the international community.

For Thai people who are against the coup, I urge you to do it peacefully and should understand that it is a culminated problem which has been becoming worse because of the coup d’etat. The most important is that people who are demanding for democracy should realize the importance of people participation in building our democracy.

I thank the international community which has expressd their opposition to the coup d’etat and the Martial law and urged the NCPO to return the country to democratic system and hold election immediately. I hope the country will return to a civilized democratic society very soon."

Not sure what the downside is here. Seems the army got free publicity to make their point, defy an order and face the consequences. I'm sure if anyone else wants to defy them and hold a press conference they will happily do the same. What's the negative in this?

• Like 1