Can I use Euro's in thailand?

korsow

Hi, I'll be coming to the kingdom around august and I want to know if I can just take euro's with me instead of dollars. The reason is that if I have to bring dollars, it will cost me twice the exchange fees (euro-dollar-baht). I'm sure I can use ATM's in bangkok, but last time I was there it was a major hassle and I want to avoid this by just taking cash with me. Do vendors also accept euro's? (I know they accept dollars without any problems). Also, where is the best place to change foreign currency, at the airport or at the local banks or something?

Thanks,

Korsow

>if I can just take euro's with me instead of dollars.

>just taking cash with me.

>

Why not euro traveler's checks? Should be quite a bit safer than the big pile of cash you are likely to need. In March the currency exchange booths on Sukhumvit road listed both T/C and cash rates for euro, so either one should work, though.

>Do vendors also accept euro's? (I know they accept dollars without any problems).

>

Interesting idea... I don't know. I guess it could work if you can haggle a reasonable exchange rate. Somehow I suspect that they do not want to accept euro coins; who can afford to haul all that heavy metal the distance to Euroland... Getting change from even a five euro note at a bad rate should rapidly make the extra cost of traveler's checks insignificant.

>Also, where is the best place to change foreign currency, at the airport or at the local banks or something?

I must admit I have never hunted for any bargains. The airport has slightly worse rates than the exchange booths on Sukhumvit road, but the difference is not outrageous as in some other countries. Sukhumvit road rates have seemed good enough not to warrant the time and cost of any extra side trips.

Wagner

No problem with Euro but bring traveller check instead of cash because you will make us and you less of a target for the thieves.

"I know they accept dollars without any problems"

Hum! you say that about Thailand? never saw a street vendor who accept dollars and the places I saw accepting dollars were a ripoff.

Best place to change money: bank and bank counter everywhere.

"Sex is hereditary. If your parents never had it, chances are you won't either."

Euro notes:

- can change at any forex booth or international bank

- good luck finding a vendor who will accept them

Euro coins:

- useful only as skipping stones on the Chao Phrya

Euro T/C

- Can change at any forex booth or international bank

- Usually better rate (slightly) than cash

J22J

When I was in Thailand last March it really depended on the banks in the different places, some took it, some not! No much difference between cheques or cash. But it was up in Isaan, in Khorat and Udon Thani, had no problems in BKK or Samui. Won't be a bad idea to bring some cash dollars or british pounds with you. I'll always take it half and half, some cash some cheques, Euros and Dollars and a credit card as a back-up and to pay the hotel bills. BTW, never got robbed, mugged or anything stolen from my hotel-room. Just take some normal care like you would do at home (and a hotel safety box, of course). Bye, H.

Archived