Big Orange Karaoke Soi 7

shotover

During my visit to Bkk last month, my BG friend told me she had seen a new karaoke bar on Soi 7 and wanted to visit it. This girl is a karaoke fiend, always dragging me into the small booths when we go to the Ekkamai Cineplex.

Being a jai-dee customer, I sighed and walked into the Big Orange Karaoke joint (on Sukhumvit Soi 7 accross from the New Wave Pool Bar) with her.

I was taken aback when I saw the staff were all youngish Thai boys who looked "too cute". I thought, is this where the girls go to pay the boys to sing and whatever else?

She dragged me to a couch across from a karaoke screen, ordered drinks, and started flipping through the books with song listings. To my horror, she selected 5 (!) songs, and gave the list to one of the pretty boys, who brought us microphones (what am I going to do with mine, I don't read Thai).

As she was lost to the world singing her songs, I saw a couple of middle age Thai men come to the back of the room, sit on another couch and summon 2 Thai boys to sit with them. They ordered drinks, but no songs. They did, to my discomfort, start snuggling and snogging with the Thai boys.

My friend did not seem to notice while she was singing, and as she started to look through books for some more songs, I said we're splitting. She claimed she did not see the romantic playing on the couches near us, and knew nothing else about the bar (a sign said it had opened only 4 days earlier).

I did take the opportunity to give her grief about it and enjoyed her frequent apologies and compensation for my unpleasant experience.

Shotover

Archived