Thai girlfriend visiting UK - health insurance?

There is no requirement to produce evidence of insurance cover when arriving.. should u need any healthcare in a hospital then the NHS will provide it at the point of need..there are no checks made..even in the worse case scenario the NHS is not able to proceed with getting payment from anyone ..you would need to think what is the insurance actually covering? .if you need GP services then thats slightly different ...dependent on how active the surgery administarors are..

Bear in mind parts of the country is being overun with foreigners and public services are so pre-occupied with avoiding any sort of discrimination.

It is not something that would cause me any concern or expense..

JP

BUPA (Blue Cross) offers health insurance that is portable to other countries. I think they have a website that you can check out with a google search for more details if you still feel that she needs health insurance. Think there is a 30 day wait before it becomes effective.

www.bupathailand.com is the web address but they don't have any info on travel insurance.

They have an office in Pattaya next to the Bangkok Pattaya hospital and one in Bangkok on Convent Rd. or email kts@bluecross.co.th

I don't remember anything about a 30 day wait though, I thought it became effective immediately.

If you buy a "for use in Thailand" policy, there is a provision that allows you to use it out of country as well. I am not sure if that applies to all policies or just the two most expensive which are the ones I was researching. Note that you would be subject to same Baht limits overseas as in Thailand that are spelled out in the policy. Therefore, I would not plan on it handling any serious longterm illnesses in expensive med places like the US but it would hopefully take care of most emergencies that might arise.

The 30 day limit (before it becomes effective) is what I was told when I applied for a policy.

Note also that they will want to exclude coverage for practically anything that you tell them about from your medical history. (ie auto injuries suffered more than 10 yrs ago for which I have not had any symptoms/problems from in the last 10 years). ...TIT...

She will get remedial emergency treatment and a free ambulance ride, but beyond that a potentially VERY large bill will more often than not be raised for ongoing treatment, operations, etc.

Full holiday/medical insurance is well recommended. Advising otherwise is careless to say the least.

The reason I'm dubioius about the 30 day effective wait is that a mate of mine just took his GF to England and got a 24 day policy the day before flying out.

Doesn't seem much point if she would be back before the policy became effective?

They also offer 8 day, and 15 day cover.

Archived