Democracy Monument,the story?

Walking a friend around a couple of days ago I couldn`t answer when he asked me the story behind it.Could someone here resume it?

Thanks

Has to do with the 1930's Revolution. A famous Italian, one of Mussolini's favorites, designed it, along with some buildings and whatnot in Bangkok. Lonely Planet mentions the background some; I'll try to remember to check that tonight.

It was conceived and constructed during the administration of the late Field Marshal Plaek Phibulsongkhram to commemorate the peaceful change-over from absolute monarchy to constitutional monarchy on June 24, 1932.The foundation stone of the monument was laid on June 24, 1939 It was officially dedicated on june 24, 1940.

OK, now who knows the story behind the Victory Monument? I can't recall too many military victories in Thailand's history (either recent or otherwise)...

The Victory Monument. A towering monument to soldiers' victories throughout Thailand's history.

http://www.thaiger.com/t-sight.html

Also:

"Rama V (also known as Chulalongkorn or "The Great King") took on the throne in 1868 at the age of 15 and continued his father's reforms, setting down the foundations for the modern Thai government as well as moving the royal palace to Dusit and building Bangkok's first railway system. The grounds of his old Chitlada Palace feature the Vimanmek Teak Mansion and the Abhisek Throne Hall, both excellent examples of royal Thai architecture. During this time, both the Victory Monument and Democracy Monument were constructed to designs by Corrado Feroci, an Italian credited with helping found Thailand's modern art movement. Rama V's long reign brought peace and stability to Thailand and his death in 1910 ushered in a period of great change. The first in a long series of coups was launched unsuccessfully in 1912 by a group of disgruntled soldiers. Another coup in 1932 by Western-educated students proved more successful, ending the absolute monarchy and replacing it with a constitutional model. "

http://www.concierge.com/bangkok/resources/history/

<<<The Victory Monument. A towering monument to soldiers' victories throughout Thailand's history. >>>

Hmm...I wonder which "victories" they're referring to?

I read awhile back that Victory Monument was dedicated to some obscure victory over the French in reclaiming a minuscule section of land along the border with the French in Laos in 1939. For the report, a news team went to the monument and asked Thais if they knew what it was for, and not one knew.

According to the "trustworthy" internet, one particular site claims that the Victory Monument was built to, "honor 59 officers, policemen, government officials and plain civilians who sacrificed their lives during the conflict between Thailand and French Indochina in January 1939."

Trying to piece some things together.. I have abducted some more text from another site..

"The nineteenth-century Thai Kings had taken note of the change in Siam's political position - previously the dominant military power of the area, extracting tribute from the surrounding states, she was now virtually at the mercy of Britain and France. In response, the Thais entered into an intense period of westernisation and attempted to appease her sometimes rapacious neighbours. King Rama V (reigned 1868-1910) had to cede the following territories to France during his reign to maintain his country's independence:

Sibsong Chuthai and Huapan Tanghok in 1886-87.

All the Laotian territories on the left bank of the Mekong and all the islands in the river in 1893.

Paklai opposite Luang Prabang and Champasak (Bassac) in 1904.

Battambang, Srisophon and Siamrap in 1907.

Additionally, Britain took Kedah, Perlis, Kelantan and Trengganu in 1909, which were turned into protectorates.

Further...

"Apart from the Burmese, the Thais had no real "traditional" foes until the French arrived in the nineteenth century. While the British also took provinces from the Thais, these were Muslim, Malay areas with no true cultural links to Thailand itself. But the areas confiscated by France were regarded as Thai, or at least ethnically and culturally similar. With Songgram leading a nationalist "crusade", a simmering hatred of the French amongst the Thai people, a large-scale rearmament with Japanese help, and an obscure border incident at Poipet, the Thais issued demands to Admiral Decoux (Governor-General of Indochina) to return the "Thai" provinces of Cambodia and Laos. The French government rebutted these claims on 14th October 1940, and Songgram began preparations for war."

Reading from this, I would guess that the deaths of the 51 or 59 Thais, the reason for Democracy Monument, were caused by a border dispute with France. Perhaps it was the dispute at Poipet. During this period Thailand's leader, Songgram, was a strong nationalist as noted above, and was intent on regaining territory Thailand had previously ceded to the French during the reign of Rama V. It would be my guess that Thailand instigated the dispute which killed the 51? 59? Thais.

Archived