Good Australian Banks. Online banks.

zanemay

Sorry if this not the best area for this post, but posting in another area got little response and I am working on a short time line.

I am looking for a safe bank to use in Australia because of the good interest rates.

What is a good bank that I can contact online.

What are the guarantees when depositing funds in an Australian bank?

Thanks,

Zane

Dude,

The big banks here are :

ANZ

National Australia Bank

Commonwealth Bank

Westpac Banking Corp

I believe ANZ is the biggest, but they are all pretty ruthless with both staff and customers. The good news for you is that they all deliver multi-billion dollar profits as a result, so your money is quite safe. They will screw you blind with fees for some accounts, so read the fine print ...

Good luck.

All those above will screw you, just got a note from CBA that they are going to charge for keeping money in a ordinary presumably passbook acount WTF, they charge you for borrowing and they are going tp charge you for deposting with them Pack of c****ts going tto cahnge to suncorp or one of the smaller ones all of whom now have pretty good online transaction capabilities.

Banks in oz are bizarre....there are charges for ATM's... even a charge when you make a deposit....quite unreal...at least the UK banks are a little more subtle at ripping you off

If you own 500 ANZ shares - good investment; good dividend, but a bit pricey right now - many of the bank charges are waived. Similarly if you have an ANZ Gold Visa Card - some perks .. free travel insurance and commission free travellers cheques. I've had no problems with their service so far, online included. But then again I don't use all their facilities that frequently. Got everything back home running on auto most of the time.

Don't know what it's like if you're a non Aussie or non NZ resident. They'll probably make you jump through hoops as far as ID and witholding tax is concerned.

Good luck, mate.

4 bigest banks in Oz are

NAB - National Australia Bank (26 billion per year)

The following three are all between 11-14 bn per year

Westpac

Commonwealth Bank of Australia

ANZ

I don't see how you can open an ordinary account with any of them without presenting a driver licence with an Oz address in it.

Archived