How good is it to have the board info before first visit?

spudsmck

My first trip years ago, I was armed only with a few trip reports (which only gave me an idea of what to pay) I managed to find at some little site. There weren't really any message sites where I could read what to expect. I'm curious what people think about how much info should a newbie have?

Looking back on myself I was so clueless when my first TG didn't leave in the morning and had no idea how the girls operate. I was truly one naive dude that got lucky to have had a kind-hearted first TG that other than falsely strolling me down lover's lane didn't take advantage of me.

On one hand it was good, because I got to learn everything first hand and go through all the classic lessons.

On the other hand it would have saved a lot of heartache and misery.

Would love to hear what any newbies who haven't been think also.

quote:

Originally posted by Spudsmck:

[snip]

I'm curious what people think about how much info should a newbie have?

I'm for definately getting as much information as possible before you go. I was lucky and found this message board (when it was on Delphi) well in advance to my first trip last year.

I could just imagine the aggravation I would have gone through only having minimal information about the "scene": I probably would have overpaid the ladies, given 1000bt tips to cab drivers, and paid way to much for a hotel that wasn't guest friendly!

My trip would have cost twice as much and probably only have been half as fun! I say the more you know the better...

My 2 baht..

-=/NN

Definitely the more info the better!

I have just returned from my first trip, and not knowing how bargirls operate can be dangerous! For example, my mate slept with one without a condom. Now I know this is silly regardless if the girl is working or not, but because this girl liked him she 'denied' that she was a bargirl. Very convincingly I may add. He thought he had as much risk as he would at home in his own country & was drunk & it just happened. Thai's can have very blahzay attitudes to protected sex, so you must be on guard otherwise it could be fatal!

“Thai's can have very blahzay attitudes to protected sex”

Mr Ennui

I have read your message several times, trying to understand the bottom line of your message. crazy.gif" border="0crazy.gif" border="0

Are you trying to say that it is the Thai girl fault that your mate, got very much drunk, screw the girl without condom who denied afterwards that she wasn’t a B/G.

Not just the aid/info for newbies, I have made 9 trips to LOS over the past few years, and still keep receiving new information, help and suggestions for the board...

Many thanks to those who have gone before, and are able and willing to share the wealth..

Pianoman

I had my first visit to Bangkok this past May (two weeks) and I found the board info invaluable (actually, I got the info from the old board). Anyway, here's my top 10 list of great advice I learned:

1. Reasonable short-term/long-term rates: 1000b/1500b

2. Watch out for katoeys (ladyboys)--big hands and feet, deep voice, etc.

3. Keep an eye on your bar tab for bill padding

4. Carry a copy of your passport and tourist visa; lock the originals in your hotel safe

5. Avoid tuk-tuk drivers

6. Wear long pants

7. Only take metered taxis; at the airport, they're to the left and out the door

8. Avoid guest-unfriendly hotels

9. Save some baht for your tourist exit fee when flying home

10. And above all, don't fall in love with the bargirls (hard not to do)

I will add one more of my own for those who are flying great distances (it took me 24 hours from the U.S. east coast): invest in a set of noise-cancelling headphones. They nearly eliminate the jet's engine noise (which can get very wearisome after a few hours) and they also can be plugged into the plane's headphone jack so you can hear the movies crystal-clear. I bought my Noisebuster headphones at Sharper Image for $39.

I hope this info helps some newbies. And thanks to those who helped me.

I just recently found this board, I have several years of going in and out of Asia and thought I knew it all. Man I figured when it came to runin the women I was the man cool.gif" border="0 and Thailand women were the most honest pure creates in the world even if they are B/G's wink.gif" border="0. Reading this board has shocked and opened my eyes a little wider shocked.gif" border="0 . I've been planning on moving to Thailand in the next few years this board is definately a must for newbies as well as KNOW IT ALLs.

Thanks to everyone keep on posting.

Well seeing as the dialogue has been brought up again, I would just like to ad that I enjoy reminissing

all my discoveries including the screw up's big and small and everything else I have learned in my first 3 trips.

However given a new country to explore I would

absolutely seek out a simular board like this one

long before buying a ticket. And for future trips

to LOS I will absolutely retain this URL in my memory. Not only as a source of knowledge but

allso for peer companionship that can relate to my world and far more personal insights than can be

aquired in one know it all life time.

[ August 27, 2001: Message edited by: Pom_Jao_Choo ]

Archived