Situation update please ?

I read something in nightlife that aluded

to patpong becoming the only nightlife spot

for ferangs seeking sanookie?

What is the present situation with the extremists work ?

Are all bars going to be closing at 2 ?

Just in BKK ?

How many areas are going to be closed down ?

I still have a year to wait crazy.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0

There have been plans to set up "entertainment zones" in Bangkok. Patpong would be in one, as would Rachada Pisek. But Soi Cowboy, Nana and Clinton Plaza would not be. Nothing much has come of it -- so far -- except that land prices within the proposed zones have gone sky high!

p.s. It's still in the planning stages. May never happen.

quote:

Originally posted by Flashermac:

[QB] Nothing much has come of it -- so far -- except that land prices within the proposed zones have gone sky high! [QB]

I think you've illuminated the point of the exercise. Once certain speculative pre-announcement purchases have been sold off for a profit, the zoning proposal will die a very quiet death.

I'm sure that an examination of title transfers in those zones for the last year would be very informative, but might lead to lead poisoning.

quote:

I think you've illuminated the point of the exercise. Once certain speculative pre-announcement purchases have been sold off for a profit, the zoning proposal will die a very quiet death.

Interesting theory. And it makes sense.

A few months back someone put up a post about the likely consequences to Nana and everywhere else on Sukhumvit if the new zoning laws were actually implimented. The other consequence, which was not considered, is that rental values would increase in Patpong.

It also seems to me that, on a percentage basis, more bars and business are owned by Thais in Patpong than in Nana. (I visit the bars, but I am not close enough to the industry to know if this observation is true.) If so, this might also explain why the new zoning laws included Patpong but did not include Sukhumvit. A simple question of political clout.

Archived