TFB - No "old"style" US Currency Accepted

All-

I have a TFB account and today I received an email from TFB letting me know that effective July 1, 2002 they will no longer accept the "old" style US$100, US$50 bills in exchange. They will however continue to accept them for deposit. They also said that the old US$20, US$10 and US$5's will continue to be accepted subject to local "discretion"...

I know that this is nothing 'new' per se, but it's the first time I've seen something in print about it.

FYI...

--UPSer

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Well come the end of next year , the "new" will be old and the old will be older , heard on the news last week that our Jeffersons , Grants and Franklins will be in COLOR. something about appesing the canadians ( just kidding ) , keeping up with the counterfitters i guess. smile.gif

BadaBing

The Thai banks have always had an objection to 1996 series dollar bills, they're almost impossible to change.

Now do you mean that they won't accept the old style bills whatever the series? By old bills I assume you mean the ones with the smaller pictures of the Presidents?

• 2 weeks later...

OC-

Correct.. I'm finding that most major countries will accept the "old" style US$100's and US$50's IF you go to an actual bank office (whereby they will closely scrutinize it), however, if you go to a currency exchange shoppe, you may find that they are not accepted...

In summary, I do not carry any of the "old" style US currency. If I have any before leaving the US, I exchange it at my local bank. They understand the situation overseas.

Archived