Punctuation Marks

zanemay

I am sorry I cannot get my PC to write Thai script, but...

I know that mai eek, mai too, mai dtrii, mai jat-dta-waa are tone marks.

My book lists

mai han-aa-gaat

mai dtai-kuu

mai gaa-ran

as "other punctuation marks" but does not explain them. They are very common. Can someone explain those three.

Thank you.

Zane

Here goes

mai-han-aa-gaat (-?-) denotes the vowel -? when used between two consonants e.g. ???

mai dtai-kuu (-?-) is actually a number 8 superscripted over a consonant. It shortens the sound of ?- and ?-. eg ????, ????

mai gaa-ran denotes a letter that is silent, most commonly at the end of words (e.g. ???? ) Foreign words are full of them.

Now what do ? and ? mean and do.

P.Seems my computer won't post in Thai script either. Sorry

I know the discussion about Thai fonts has been brought up here before so a search might be helpful. There is at least one board member whom I believe has posted some helpful hints on this subject. I don't like to name names but his initials are DB.

My experience with Win98, I went to a site that downloads Thai fonts (I used a link on the Thai Rath website). After installing the fonts I used Character Map: Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map. It is a bit tedious using this method but works OK for putting a few Thai fonts together.

Now I have Word2002 which has Thai fonts already installed. Good luck

Let me try that again.

mai-han-aa-gaat (ÃÑ) denotes the vowel Ãà when used between two consonants e.g. Ãѹ

mai dtai-kuu (Ãç) is actually a number 8 superscripted over a consonant. It shortens the sound of some vowels such as àà and áÃ. eg à»ç¹, áÃç¡

mai gaa-ran denotes a letter that is silent, most commonly at the end of words (e.g. ˧Êì) Foreign words are full of them.

Now what do æ and à mean and do.

Archived