Issan language

Again, this is relevent when speaking of Isaan Lao dialects -- "Isaan language" would have to refer to Khmer and Suai at least, which are different languages from Thai and Lao.

About transformations of certain consonant sounds between Thai and Lao: this is interesting (I can think of other examples, rawn/hawn, etc). Anyone familiar with Lao writing -- is this reflected in the writing system somehow? For example a Sanskrit or Pali loan word with a final consonant sound in Thai of 'n' written with raw-reua provides clues to its roots and original pronunciation -- and in Khmer will continue to be pronounced with a final 'r' (in fact the work 'Khmer' itself illustrates this). Are some of the Lao/Thai mappings similar in some way?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Answering my own post a little.

I took a look at http://www.omniglot.com/writing/lao.htm. There's a Lao consonant that looks an awful lot like raw-reua and is listed as having an 'h' sound or 'n' at the end of a syllable. This probably explains the propensity for 'r' at the start of Thai words to correspond to a Lao word that's similar but with an 'h' at the start -- they're written the same but that one symbol has different sounds in Thai vs. Lao.

Fascinating.

Archived