The Great Escape

Greetings all.

New to the board, but not to LOS.

Cheers

Roppongi

The invitation for four nights at one of Koh Samui's swanky hotels was bordering on the unbelievable. Free suite, maid, and food. All I had to pay was the grand sum of 20% of the alcohol bill. If only my job was this good all the time. My 'busy' schedule soon miraculously freed up. All I had to do now was decide who to take.

I thought of hooking up with a local lass, but wasn't sure of the guest policy and didn't want to insult my hosts so I opted for flavor of the month "Miss Milan" -- a sexy Japanese business woman who speaks good English and Italian, but is prone to temper tantrums when she doesn't get her own way.

Within minutes of accepting my offer, she'd booked us into The Oriental hotel for two nights, a tour to Ayutthaya and a diving course for herself.

The demons of doubt began to dance.

We flew out separately from Tokyo and met up at the hotel on Samui. Private beach and open-air jacuzzi, huge deck, our own bar, choice of three restaurants -- impressive.

After the rain set in for two-straight days (now I know why they invited us), we headed down to Tamarind Springs for a sauna and traditional massage. Not sure if it's still in business today, but with its plunge pool, wet sauna set in a rock, and Thai-styled huts, Tamarind Springs is an excellent place to relax on a rainy day.

After the massage we headed back to Chawang Beach and trouble erupted.

Miss Milan had some mug shots taken for her diving license and didn't like her "look."

I told her not to worry as no one would ever see her license but no, Miss Milan blamed the shop and demanded they take her photo again.

Embarrassed, I waited outside smirking to myself at the stupidity of it all.

After 10 minutes, Miss Milan stuck her head out of the shop and said she still wasn't satisfied and offered to pay for another round of photos.

I'd had enough and returned to the comfort of the hotel bar. While sinking a few beers, I was reminiscing about old trips to Pattaya and started to plot my escape.

Miss Milan returned and tried to wash over the incident by seducing me in the jacuzzi.

The joy was short-lived.

Next morning she exploded again. This time she'd called reception to book a car for the airport and they didn't understand her accent, so she spoke faster and louder. This went on and on and I couldn't hold back the laughter, which angered her even more.

"What's so funny?," she barked and stormed off in a huff.

As guests of the hotel, her childish behavior was totally embarrassing, but revenge would be sweet.

We flew back to Bangkok Airport and our 'limousine' was waiting to take us to The Oriental. Just as the driver greeted us, I tell her "enjoy yourself" and walk off and flagged a taxi to Pattaya.

Not believing what was happening, she stood on the curb, hand on her hips, and waited for me to return.

She quickly learned I wasn't joking as the taxi drove by. I flashed her a smile, she flashed me the finger.

Arriving in Pattaya on a Friday night, my timing couldn't have been better. My local pub welcomed me with open arms, as did my old gal.

"Lek" seems to have been around forever but still only looks 30. A tall, stunner in her day, Lek's still a head-turner but without the attitude. She's seen it all. After a night of bedroom Olympics, Lek opted to watch the Thai soap dramas in my room while I joined the lads and a few of the bar girls for a BBQ trip to Koh Larn.

With surprisingly clear water, Koh Larn ain't a bad day-trip away from the helter-skelter of Pattaya. The beers flowed and after a hearty lunch it was time for a game of volleyball followed by more swimming, another beer, and anotherÉ

We got back to the bar settled out tabs for the day (unbeatable value at 800 baht) before I headed back to the hotel to freshen up for the night.

True to her word, Lek was waiting and raised my spirits in her own unique way.

We headed out to dinner for my last night and at the end of the evening Lek asked me to take her picture with my digital camera.

Remembering the photo saga with Miss Milan, I showed Lek the screen image seeking her approval.

Her smile said it all.

cool story Roppongi...

hey what about Miss milan?..when you got back to tokyo did she kill you or what???hahhahaha..

welcome to the board man...

Actually mysteryman, she called and apologized and then told me how she went on a shopping spree in Bangkok and had all these Thai silk outfits made up for the "cheap" price of 18,000 baht.

We got back together a couple of times after that but never really clicked. She eventually faded into the distance but not before leaving me with a nasty dose of red balls! So I suppose she had the last laugh.

• 1 year later...

Archived