Help me lads! I can't play Yahoo games anymore!

I'll admit that I'm something of a Yahoo literati freak, and spend far too many hours on it. I've been playing for well over a year with never a problem, until I decided to upgrade my browser from IE5 to IE6, and then the java applet would not load.

I contacted Yahoo about the problem, and their reponse was as follows,

<<<<Click "Tools" in the menu bar, and then select "Internet Options."

Click the "Security" tab. For the Internet zone, be sure that the Security level is set to "Medium" or below. (If you have chosen to customize your security settings for the Internet zone, be sure that under the Java heading, "Java permissions" is not set to "Disable Java." You will want to select one of the three safety levels instead. Also be sure that under the Scripting heading, "Scripting of Java Applets" is set to "Enable" or "Prompt.")

Next, click the "Advanced" tab.

Scroll down until you see the sub heading "Java VM."

Check the boxes next to "Java logging enabled" and "Java console enabled." (Note: If you checked the box next to "Java JIT compiler enabled" and are experiencing freezing problems, uncheck that box>>>

I did all this, but still had the same problem. Yahoo also recommended clearing my internet files. I did that as well. Still the problem existed.

I spoke to a computer expert who said that maybe going back to using IE5 was the answer, so I uninstalled IE6 and it automatically returned to IE5 as the default.

Now, when I try to download the applet, I get a runtime error message - would you like to debug? Line 35. Object doesn't support this object or method.

Pressing yes to debug doesn't get me any further or rather I haven't a clue what to do because I get the message that the problem cannot be handled.

Help me out guys, I'm having withdrawal symptoms here!

What happens if you say "no" to the debug question?

Anyho, first why not go hit the WindowsUpdate site. Perhaps something important got uninstalled. There may be a needed JavaVM update available for the installaiton you have now.

For what it's worth, the problem is probably not IE6. I have IE6.0.2600 and it loads the game without any hitch.

A good practice after loading any new version of IE is to go back to the WinUp site and see what's missing. And then do it again after a restart.

And perhaps a reinstall of IE6 with WU patches will do the trick? Either way, don't omit to get the cumulative security patch from MS. There's an obvious link to it from microsoft.com.

Another observation -- I had all hell with Java while I had both the MS JavaVM and the Sun distribution of Java JRE1.3.>0 and 1.4 on my machine at the same time. Uninstalling JRE fixed most of the problems. And after formatting the drive and doing a full clean-install of Win98SE, plus updates, I've scrupulously avoid the JRE's and now even the buggiest widgets will run well. Conclusion first is that the somehow interfere with each other.

Please let us know if this so-called-advice results in anything.

Thanks Doxy,

The debug message has now gone away, but the applet still doesn't load at all.

I'm now downloading Explorer 6 again, and will try your other ideas (not that I have the foggiest what it's about)

Once you've got IE6 and the updates in place, there's one more thing that may help. Dump the internet cache as before, but while you've got the Internet Options Control Panel open, under the General tab click Settings, then View Objects and a folder will open titled Downloaded Program Files. Delete the Literati object to make sure you're downlading a fresh copy.

Doxy,

I also downloaded Netscape 6 and I can play the games in that OK but the gameplay is nowhere near as good as in IE.

I still cannot load the applet for IE. Just as a test I went into Yahoo chat or at least tried. Got the message that there are problems with the Java 2.0 and it wouldn't load. First time that's ever happened.

So I know nothing about computers but the problem is obviously a java setting within IE, but I've checked all the enable/disable shit in the internet options and it appears OK.

Going back to IE 5 doesn't seem to solve the problem either.

You might then try what I alluded to previously. Using Add/Remove Programs, remove all instances of Java Runtime Environment [may have another name, but since MS' Java typically doesn't appear in A/R, any one you see there is dispensable -- unless it specifically mentions Microsoft, of course].

This is the Java package which Netscape uses, but it can always be reinstalled later either as a Netscape update or directly from the releases on Sun's website. You may even have the installer lingering on your hard drive somewhere: the filename usually begins jre-something-somenumber.whatever.

With Sun's Java I suspect you're getting bad response times, poor spacing and formatting, and displays that smear easily when you use the scroll bars, yes?

As you uninstall it[them] it might be prudent to uninstall them in reverse order of their release. Remove Java 2.0, restart your machine whether prompted or not, then remove the next oldest version and so forth. 1.4, 1.3.1, 1.3, they all must go.

Our goal is to get as close to the base installation of IE as possible. Removing a possibly conflicting version of Java seems to be the way to go, IMO.

You didn't mention if you hit WindowsUpdate or not. If you haven't done so yet, wait until you've got the Sun Java packages off the system. Hopefully your system will be wanting the MS JavaVM update or next version and by installing same will get you more stability or at least a better baseline from which to continue diagnosing.

It seems to be a feature of the Sun Java packages that they become the default Java VM anytime you install them. Since I gather that you prefer IE, we should try to stick with getting the best functionality from that, even if it mean forgoing some utility when you use Netscape.

Keep faith, we'll get this put right eventually.

Hi Doxy,

I sure appreciate you taking the time to offer all this wonderful advice. I feel such an idiot where computers are concerned.

You are totally right about the gameplay using netscape - slow time lapses, etc, etc. I almost threw the computer out of the window, but I did uninstall Netscape in my anger.

I've deleted all the java applications (I think) and I've gone back to Internet Explorer 5. My philosophy is that I played for many months using IE5 so let's go back to the basics.

I did visit the windows update site but couldn't find anything useful for me.

Now that I am back to the bare bones of IE5, could you send me a URL for a java download (?) that might get me back on track.

I go into those download sites and all the numbers and jargon they throw around makes me want to give up and go and get the whole damn computer reformatted.

Updated Microsoft Virtual Machine for Windows Operating Systems

(Build 3805, released 3/4/02)

http://www.microsoft.com/java/vm/dl_vm40.htm

It's a big download at 5.5 Mb, so you may want to check the version of your current Java installation first.

Use Start > Find > msjava.dll

Once it's found, right-click the file name, choose Properties, select the version tab and see if it says "5.00.3805" -- if it does, you have the current version. If not, download and run the installer. A reboot will probably be required to finish the installation.

Problem solved Doxy - absolutely brilliant!

I downloaded the java vm and it works a treat, the games play without a single glitch - even better than before.

Thanks for all the effort you put in on this one. You've made a fellow board member very happy.

Archived