shipping personal effects Bkk-Europe

Bembaman

Anyone got any experience and recommendations as to shipping by sea personal effects back to Europe? Firms, costs etc. Given that there is no furniture and it mainly consists of clothing, computers, stereo, TV etc is it even worth shipping them back and should I just sell all this stuff in BKK?

Any thoughts appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Take what you feel is unavailable back home....

Shipping is costly and you should use UPS as they are sure to get it to you safely as they handle all their own cargo from start (Bkk.) to finish........

BTW- UPS offers 25kilo boxes that are a pretty good deal. This is a strong box that can be loaded up to 25kilos - you can stuff quite alot into these and they cost about 4000 baht....

tchiowa--

Correct, our "value boxes" are great deals. They usually represent a savings of about 40% of our "normal" express (the fastest) shipping costs. Just be sure that you don't exceed the boxes weight limit as you'll be charged the *regular* price for the entire shipment.

You are also correct in that ALL of UPS' volume is handeled exclusively by UPS personnel and transported on UPS aircraft to/from BKK. We do not utilize "contract agents" in Thailand.

Transit times from BKK to USA is two calendar days to Europe is also two calendar days.

--UPSer

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I've used a 'shipper' behind the "Mambo Kethoy show" washington sq.. on the soi furthest from Suk, down from Bourbon St.. they sent a driver to my apt to pickup me & my 'valuables'.. 2 duffle bags ( 100 kilos ) of non sorted merchandise, acquired in Mai Sai.. they carefully packed for me ( pulled out 2 Burmese budahas & refused to pack! ) & I paid a forgotten fee.. I considered it reasonable for turn key service.. they were recommended by a Thai business person

It got to the US in 2 weeks so must not have been by sea...

Sounds like a good deal. I'd be interested to know how it came to the US.. Was it by thai post? You'd know by the postage stamps (or meter stamps) or lack thereof.

One thing that is unfortunate in Thailand is that their mail system, especially their international, both inbound and outbound have had a history of small time petty theft. Not rampant, but enough so.

All inbound international mail is first "examined" at the Customs House (adjacent to the Cargo Office at Don Muang) [all surface mail is examined at a Customs House office near the port] before it's sent to the local post for delivery. Thailand has no "postal police" per se to enforce and monitor mail theft. All crimes against the thai post system are classified as crimes against the state.

With all this considered, I usually reccommend that a person handcarry out their goods or use a reputable agent or carrier to handle it for them.

--UPSer

I am blank on the carrier.. It was NOT 'postal'.. I picked my boxes up at a 'commercial shipper' near the airport in the states..

The Thai company I used ( like I said ) was on the back side of the "mambo" theater on the 'side soi' parrallel to suk at the back end of that 'entertainment' quadrangle.. they chose the international carrier. & I'm blank on carrier, I remember the facility ( HUGE ) I picked it up at in the states, but am totally blank as to carrier name.

Any time I 'carry a lot of stuff back' i ship.. to much trouble carting all the stuff & If I get 'taken apart' at the US end I'd just as soon it be at their facility after I've personally cleared imigration!

I had bulk commercial goods shipped back after my trip in Dec 2001 & used DHL, but it was much less weight & $ value.. it was delivered to my location without any US customs BS.

The big 'boxes' of goods required me to pick up paperwork from the carrier in the US & hand walk the paper work through US customs at another near by building, I was given paper work at customs & payed additional fees at the carrier will call desk.. the contents of the boxes were not viewed.

took me several hours at the US end.

I was required to personally ( I guess the big boys have agents ) walk paper work through the carrier / customs system.

Archived