Use of classifiers in Thai?

"An" is obviously not the correct classifier to use about people although you probably will get to hear it used once in a while when someone is pissed off big time. wink.gif

If you use it about an animal it isn`t a big deal as it is merely a - well - animal.

Tua is also used as a counter for a number of other things besides from animal. Cmp. Nattawud`s list.

The classifiers you mention:

Dton for trees or plants - Dton Mai - Classifier being Dton

Bai for leaves - Bai Mai - classifier being Bai

Dorg for Flowers - Dorg Mai - classifier being Dorg

I wouldn`t call that particularly confusing when you consider the actual thai words for the objects in question.

There are plenty of other classifier that initially doesn`t appear to have anything in common with the object they classify.

I would say that for a speaker on an intermediate level we are talking about a maximum of 2 dozens classifiers of which some are quite self-explanatory as the above. And some are even seldomly used.

That shouldn`t be all that hard.

But some refuse to get the idea because "their language is not constructed that way" or for whatever reason and they continue to speak what I would call the equivalent of "Thenglish".

Perhaps the most difficult aspect for foreigners to master properly besides from the tones would be writing and add to that the proper use of personal pronouns in all situations.

Regards

Hua Nguu

I have to admit that although I can read Thai well, I have never really mastered proper writing. To many exceptions to learn by hard. Even well edocuated Thais get confused at times, especially when writing names or not so common words.

The personal pronouns are not so difficult I think. Just a metter to whom you're talking to

Archived