My Thai Girl got into the US - no hassles

Some time back I posted the news that I'd gotten my girlfriend a US tourist visa with minimum hassles. There were a number of comments at the time that I might have problems actually getting her into the US without proof that she would be returning.

The question didn't even come up. They basically asked her why she was coming (to visit my family) and that was it. Six months as a tourist was allowed. Done deal.

Just wanted to set the record straight. This, by the way, was in L.A.

Thanks for the update.

You must have an exceptional Thai girl friend for her to get a tourist visa in the first place.

But yes the US immigration service has the power to deny entry to anyone at point of entry if they find something wrong.

Good luck to you and your girl friend!

No doubt they do have the power to deny entry. I'm just saying that they didn't check anything except that she had a visa.

I think my girlfriend is so exceptional, I married her while we were there. But she is just an Issan girl will little in the way of assets. Hard to understand how the US government would consider her exceptional. Unless they have some sort of integrity meter.

It's been awhile since I've dealt with this issue but I believe that a tourist visa to the US is issued by the State Dept. It would be up to them to decide if she had compelling reasons to return to Thailand.

US Customs, who checks the visa at point of entry, is INS, Dept. of Justice. So unless something came to light between the time a tourist visa is issued and arrival in the US it would be highly unlikely for a customs agent to deny entry. Though it is up to them to decide how long someone will be allowed to stay. Please correct me I'm wrong here, I wouldn't want to mislead anyone.

Lamock says:

?Hard to understand how the US government would consider her exceptional. Unless they have some sort of integrity meter.?

There may be an integrity meter but it appears to be up to the individual screeners? interpretation of the meter. What one screener giveth another screener in the future can taketh away. This I know first hand!

I don't get it: is she a GF or a wife, why use GF if she is your wife? Was this essential for the obtention of the visa? What kind of questions did she deal with in BKK? No income, no job, no problem? If the marriage helped big time, did they ask you why a tourist visa only?

I know this is bureaucratic nitpicking, but U.S. Customs and U.S. INS are two different entities. At an airport, the folks in the white uniform shirts are the ones you meet first and check passports and visas. Closer to the outside doors, after baggage claim, the guys and gals in the blue uniform shirts may check your bags.

And yes, it is close to an integrity meter--human evaluation of whether or not somebody is telling the truth.

My wife: young lady from Isaan, no job, no assets.

One-year multiple-entry visa granted with no interview required, on the strength of my ties to Thailand (work permit, house lease, money in bank, etc).

nkped says:

"U.S. Customs and U.S. INS are two different entities"

Thanks for clarifying that. It's important to get the facts straight. Hope DB doesn't stumble across my post.smile.gif

As to the integrity meter mentioned in my previous post I was referring to the screeners in the embassy's visa section. They make an evaluation of information presented to them, verified by documents. It is up to these individuals (screeners) to determine if a visa should be issued. Since no two situations are exactly the same it is a judgment call. You could present all the same information to two different screeners and it is very possible to get two different outcomes, visa denied or visa granted. I wouldn?t be surprised if they occasional flip a coin, heads your in tails your out.

For example if an interview is required your GF's chances would arguably be better if your interviewer is a fortyish man who can speak some Thai and has experience with Thai-Farang relationships, someone who can quickly make a fair evaluation of the strength of the relationship and ties to LOS.

On the other hand if the interviewer is a fiftyish woman, career bureaucrat who speaks no Thai and has just been assigned to the Bangkok visa section her view of any Farang/TG relationship is likely to be "less understanding" than that of the other interviewer. Visa denial with a smile.

Sitting in the visa section is interesting because you are bound to see some hopeful guy attempting to get a visa for a TG twenty or more years younger than himself dressed like she is on her way to work at a bar and he apparently just met on his two week tourist visit. Not much chance here no matter who gives the interview.

To Pattaya127:

She was my g/f when we applied and left Thailand. Now we are back and she is my wife (married in Las Vegas). While this intent was mentioned during the application process, it was not listed as the primary reason for the trip. Visiting my family was.

She has no job, hence no income. I work here on a work permit (albeit the application was in process when I made the visa application). I listed her occupation as 'homemaker' which is an honorable profession. At least as far as political correctness in the US is concerned.

Archived