Monks (some former criminals)

I just got back from LOS this a.m.

I spent part of the trip with my TG in Kanchanaburi area.

We booked some of the trips there. One was the trip to a temple where they keep tigers.

After we were done, I noticed a monk who looked a bit of a character with all his artwork on his body.

I mentioned it would be nice to have a photo to my gf. She asked if i wanted? I said sure if it was ok?

She asked the guide to ask the monk. After he did, the monk didnt want to, waved us off and left. I said to her that maybe he was a former criminal and didnt want his pic taken, because he was in hiding. (she laughed as well as the guides)

Actually I was more serious than not.

Now here is the bizaare part...

The very next day, we went to see one of the caves with a temple near. After we finished, we were waiting for our driver with our guide.

Next... 6 cars drove up with ten undercover cops.

They were searching the grounds and found who they were looking for. (a monk)

(This was the same monk if any of you living there saw recently in the news). Our guide was about 20 feet from the cops, and heard he was wanted for a sex crime before he became a monk.

As we left the TV stations came, and the newspaper people.

My gf and the guide (same as day before) couldnt believe I mentioned this possiblity the previous day.

Amazing Thailand indeed..

troydeere

An English girl backpacker was murdered in Kanchanaburi about 7 or 8 years ago, by a monk who was either a criminal on the run or who had opted into the monkhood on release from jail. It made big headlines in the UK at the time.

It is quite possible I suppose, that there is a temple prepared to act as a refuge for bad lads seeking atonement. I have a feeling that the temple in that area with the tigers was implicated in the cave full of Japanese gold of little over a year ago.

Troyeere,

I think you have special powers. Is it possible to tell me if I will win the lottery in the near future. smile.gifsmile.gif

Thanks,

Kipster.

Phra Yantra! Hadn't heard that name in a while. He was so obviously a conman, but plenty of folks believed him.

But as to crooks in the monkhood, it's pretty hard to spot them if they use a different name and go where they are not known. The number of "real" monks is comparatively small, those who spend much or all of their lives as monks. Most just go in for a short time, or for a few years at the most. Thus there is a large turn over, and an occasional crook can slip in for a while.

It's funny you say that. I did buy a lotto ticket myself.

But, I remember it was BEFORE I said that. So.. I guess my one magic ability came too late.

Another thing I remembered was that as we were leaving, I saw the monk talking on a cell phone. smile.gif

I asked my gf where he got that? She said a cop handed it to him.

I left thinking... Perry Mason or Johnny Cochran???

troydeere

phra yantra did not start off as a conman. he once was a highly respected forest monk living for a very long time in a cave near the village of my missus (that cave was destroyed when that mountain became part of thailand's road development...).

strange, when did he get corrupted? there are still questions open. i have heard of allegations that the whole scandal was a set up as he was rising to huge popularity outside the official sangha hirarchy. i don't know enough to have an own opinion there, and i wonder if the whole truth will ever be known.

If you want to know about Yantra, read up:

http://www.zip.com.au/~lyallg/AjahnYantra.htm

http://www.bangkokpost.net/issues/temple/straw.html

http://www.nctimes.net/news/091100/d1.html

http://www.thaiworldview.com/bouddha/bouddha3.htm

"Up to you" This gives both sides of the story. Personally when he used a "borrowed" credit card to frequent MPs while on holiday in OZ, I kind of lost a wee bit of respect for him.

Archived