Atlanta Hotel

Phantom

Tried the search but nothing came up.

No ones discussed this hotel before?

If anyone has had 1st hand info on this I'd like to hear what they thought about it.

O.K for the price, reasonable location, etc.

Thanks.

The gardens and pool are lovely, and the location is not too bad (at the end of Sukhumvit Soi 2). And the price can't be beat (350 baht for fan room, 450 baht for a/c room). The accommodations are very basic, though, and the hotel is not just guest unfriendly, but guest intolerant (you will be told to pack your bags and leave if you try to bring one in).

I always go there to eat at least once a trip, the restaurant is very good for me. The whole atmosphere is old world, well 1950's, it was built in '52 and looks the much the same. The hotel has often been used in film shoots and I'm certain I recognised the lobby in a scene from Bkk haunted.

It's a very special place IMO but they seem to have tightened up on guests again. I last stayed there a couple of years ago and they charged 104 baht joiner fee and took the ladies ID, I never heard of anyone being asked to leave over guests. I think the only problem with the place are the middle class lonely planet types who, although they could aford the marriott choose to stay at the atlanta. I have had some very dirty looks from other guests when I have been there with various girls.

If you stay get a room at the front as it's noisy at the rear. 'Suites' were 650 baht when I stayed, no fridge or TV and no elevator. There is a website somewhere but I forget the URL. Even if you book a suite or one at the front, the room you want is not always available when you turn up-very annoying. Have a look even if you don't stay, its a museum -peter

It's true: there's no TV at the Atlanta. TV wasn't invented yet when the place was built...and I don't think they've made any improvements since! The place really is a time capsule.

Anyway, if what you're looking for is ultra-cheap lodging in the Sukhumvit area, you might want to try the Sawasdee Sukhumvit Inn, on Sukhumvit Soi 57. It's very close to the Thong Lo BTS station, and they have rooms there with a/c, TV, hot water, and fridge for 370 baht a night.

www.sawasdee-hotels.com

It's nowhere near a Tesco Lotus that I know of. It's in Soi 57, just past the mouth of soi Thonglor (Sukhumvit 55), and before the Major Cineplex Ekamai.

I did take a look at the rooms. Obviously, 370 baht a night doesn't get you much. About the same standard as, say, a slightly-above-average short-timer.

But it is cheap and convenient to transportation.

Archived