cuba/costa rica - the farewell trip part 1

sfcfan

here it is, the report i promised. not sure if it should be in the regional sanuk section,or the trip report as it will be quite long ,spread over 10 parts or so.im sure the powers that be will move it if necessary.

well guys, after 12 years in the caribbean i,ve finally decided to call it a day. finish here sep 21, back to the uk for 2 weeks, best man at a wedding in manila oct 22, and due to arrive in bkk nov 2 for a 6 month stint to see if its for me. if all goes well , then im in for life - lol. anyway, whats this got to do with costa rica you ask - nothing really - just looking for some drinking buddies in november.

ok , back to the report.living in cayman is as dull as it gets. nothing but beaches,diving,churches and over priced everything. sanuk scene is for all intent and purpose non-existant. why live here then? well, 2 reasons: travel options and tax free high salaries. there is a wealth of travel possibilities just a short plane ride away ( namely: costa rica:

honduras:cuba:and panama). i can safely say costa rica is by far the king of sanuk in this region after visiting most on a regular basis over the last 12 years. so it was there i decided to say my goodbyes to the latina ladies i had become so

found of. getting there can be a hassle, cayman-miami-san jose ( cost about $850 ). every so often,a charter flight does go direct to san jose for about $400, and misses out the miami leg totally.

seems like lady luck was smiling on me (or so i thought) as a charter had been planned for july 6 - july 14. i booked,made reservations at the legendary hotel delrey and was all packed when, on the morning of the 6th at 8 am (6 hours before we were due to leave) i got the call informing me the the trip was off as the plane couldnt get landing permission.i phoned american trying to get an alternative flight, but the asking price was $1070 .tempting, but that was LOS spending money i would be eating in to. all was not lost as i managed to get a cheap flight to cuba for $169 (july 7 - july 12). apologies to all you waiting on the costa rica report- my advice is to go if u get a chance - you wont be disappointed.so, here in its place is the july 2002 cuba

trip report. keep checking back as i will be posting on a daily basis over the next few days.

to be continued.......

Archived