cuba/costa rica - the farewell trip part 2

sfcfan

half the fun of a cuba trip from cayman is getting there.the plane is a twin prop old russian cargo plane, converted into a 40 seater passenger plane with no AC. the noise is deafening, so everyone on board is soaked in sweat ,shouting at each trying to be heard. i always end up next to a nervous american doing his first illegal cuba visit shouting the usual questions in my ear ( rather like those posted by me and other newbies on this forum -lol).upon landing u really do feel like kissing the ground as your life had passed before you several times over the last 60 mins or so aboard the death star.

the plane took off on time ( a first for me ). few empty seats but they were soon filled with boxes of toilet paper, diapers, soaps and numerous other luxuries to be sold or given to family members.sure enough the flight was bouncy as hell and as for security- all passengers were invited into the cockpit to take a look. all controls were in russian, very cramped,but panaramic views id never seen before. already the cuban hospitality was shining through.

after landing, we were herded into a waiting bus and taken the short drive to the terminal. sods law im in the queue with the person without the visa at immigration.15 mins later problem solved and im in a taxi heading to havanna - or so i thought.the government taxi driver asked to see my hotel reservation ,which officially you need in advance and i didnt have. so it was back to the airport and after another 30 mins or so i got a reservation slip for hotel rivera. complete

waste of time, but the theory is it prevents tourists illegally renting rooms in private houses ,costing fidel money as most hotels are government owned. arrived at hotel 25 mins,25 km, and $10 later. not a bad hotel,in new havanna,good views of the ocean. apparently it was the hotel of choice for ol blue eyes and the mafia boys back in the 50s, before fidel did his little liberation act. $ 72 per night, room ok- not luxurious but big,clean, comfortable,AC, and cable. unpack ,shower,change,head downstairsfor my first night in havanna in 4 years.

to be continued.......

Archived