cuba/costa rica - the farewell trip part 4

sfcfan

knock on the door woke me up about 2 in the afternoon. i was fully clothed,splitting headache and a throast like ghandis flip flop. another knock and then a voice " i cleanie the room now please". cant remember my exact reply but im sure it was to the effect of "f... off". quick shower,shit and shave and im feeling a litle better. make my way to another new place i had seen - cafe havanna, for a late breakfast. its similar to most trendy cafes you will go in, kinda pricey and trendy decor.not much going in there this time of day, but by all accounts it gets busy later at night. order a diet coke- dont have it,order a diet sprite -never heard of it, ask for diet anything- just blank stares, so i get a coke. try to be smart and order food without translation and get the ham and cheese, thinking it was a sandwich - WRONG! i end up with a plate of slices of ham and cheese. total tab for 2 cokes,1 beer (said i was feeling better) and ham and cheese surprise- $9.

next im in a taxi come cuban style tuk tuk (its a motorbike with a 2 seater big yellow bubble on the back) they seem ok as long as you dont crash,dont wear a wig or it doesnt rain. short 10 min ride to old havanna , driving along the prominade. passed about 100 girls walking the prominade- lots of smiles and whistles coming my way. easy pickings

if you want some day time fun - and if u r not sure which girls are which i will give you a little hint - the ones in skin tight jeans and high heels normally arent there to get a sun tan

or do a little a fishing. most of these girls are ok , but not as classy as the night crew ,so i think ill wait till then. girls aside, this ride is well worth the $3 just to see some of the most amazing,colonial,architecture- even if its in ruin and literally falling down around you. yasser arrafit would feel quite at home in some of these ruins.the road itself is a 6 lane race track where everyone has the right of way and chicken is played all day.they drive at only one speed- FAST. you really do feel safe driving at these speeds in an open plastic bubble with no seat belt .the seat themselves are like school chairs with legs cut off glued to the back of a bike. hardest part is not slipping off.even saw a guy with a matress balenced on his head , stood in the middle lane waiting for a break in the traffic so he could run across.finally get to where im going and the market is closed on mondays. back to new havanna , find a supermarket so decide to stock up on some fluids for the room ,got 3litres of water and found the soda aisle- result here guys- diet coke is called coca cola light. amazed at how much cuba has changed since my first trip in 95.fully stocked shelves ,no US brand names but you could get pretty much what you wanted.back to the hotel to get a quick nap before heading out again tonight.

ok guys, i know what you are thinking. 4 parts to the report already and still no sanuk. well, tonight i wont disappoint you.

to be continued ....

Archived