Switching CD-Rom Drive letters

SUZIBANDIT

One of the games I have been playing keeps crashing to the desktop. The reason it seems (according to the readme) is that my primary cd drive is Drive F and my cd-rw drive is E. It says if I uninstall the game and then switch the drive letters so my primary drive is E, it will solve the problem.

My question is, will this mess up my other programs that run on the primary drive, because they can no longer find the original drive F?

I already switched them without uninstalling the game and the game won't run out of the new drive E, but will run in the CD-RW drive.

I don't want to havbe to reinstall other programs just to play this game.

Any ideas?

You should be able to run games/programs from either CD drive , the standard or the CD-RW (E or F). You can change driver designation by swapping the jumpers on the two CD drives.

You can easily change you letter designation, and it should not cause other troubles. As I do not want to say NEVER without knowing your config and programs... If it is trouble it would be easy enough to change it back.

Go to MY COMPUTER; CONTROL PANEL; SYSTEM; DEVICE MANAGER; Select CDROM; Select CD Drive; Click PROPERTIES; Select SETTINGS, under RESERVE DRIVE LETTERS (Start and End) change both to what you want it to be (likely the same)...

If there is a conflict with your other drive, it must be changed same way, as above as well...

Your System will need to be restarted....

Good Luck

There is a way you can do this without making any permanent changes to your computers bios setting or your Windows preferences. It will seem complicated until you get the hang of it. The below would also be usefull in the swapping C drives thread from a few weeks ago

GRUB http://www.gnu.org/software/grub

You will have to download the grub floppy image and use Rawrite to write the image to a floppy. Boot from the floppy and at the prompt use the pattern* that follows:

grub> map (hd0) (hd1)

grub> map (hd1) (hd0)

This would map the primary master to the primary slave position and the primary slave to the priamry master position.Your You will have to look and see where the CD roms actually are before you can remap them If for example the CDR is on IDE secondary master and CD is on IDE secondary slave after the "grub>" prompt you would type:

grub> map (hd2) (hd3)

grub> map (hd3) (hd2)

To boot Windows after the "grub>" prompt you would type:

grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)

grub> makeactive

grub> chainloader +1

grub> boot

It sounds very complicated but the virtue is that you can make temporary changes before you decide to go in and screw things up permanently. Grub does alot of other great thing like being able to boot above the 1024mb and boot multiple operating systems on multiple disks and partitions.

*When I say pattern that is to indicate that the way things are wired on your computer may be different than the example above, in which case the pattern is the same but the drive numbers may be different. This is why you will have to read the extensive documentation and FAQ for Grub.

AG

Archived