cuba/costa rica - the farewell trip part 10

sfcfan

one subject i havent touched on is the gay/trans scene in cuba. i mention this because there seems to be rather a lot of posts on nanaplaza with regards to ladyboys. well, to be honest its not my thing baby, and i certainly dont intend to start asking questions . as far as i know, homosexuality is legal here, but i think its still an underground gay nightlife - certainly none of the bars or clubs i was in were visibly gay or mixed. as for transexuals, im sure they are out there on the streets of havanna, but i will leave that report for someone else. nothing personal, just not ny scene.

ok, souvenir day today so i head off to the kraft market in the plaza de la cathederal. the market there is awesome and you can get loads of hand carved artwork for a great price. its the sort of place my mum would take a week to look through before deciding what to buy. there was a coach load of japanese tourists looking round the market when i got there. see lots of sweet looking asian girls and thailand comes to mind again. what is it with japanaese fashion these days- totally outrageous, and as for the hairstyles, something of a cross between 70s disco look and sid vicious. if you dont believe me , watch a re- run of some of japans games in the world cup. buy what i need as quick as possible cause the market is hot. its open air ,but each stall is covered by plastic

sheets to offer some protection from the sun and rain. this works , but it like a sweat box when you walk under it, and im soaked to the skin. take a few snaps ,and then have to leave to cool down and get a change of clothes.

last night tonight and im still undecided. disco mucumba is a great show, but lots of security and not many single girls from what i remember. cabaret tropicana is an excellant show which is second to none i have seen , but once again more family and non sex- tourist orientated. still, if you are here and have the time i do recommend you take a look at both these shows - great nights entertainment. that leaves discos copa cabana, impanema, italien, and disco rio (locals call it disco johnny). i will decide later, food first. to be honest , for a city of this size, the food really does suck, unless you pay top dollar in a hotel restaurant. i found the menus limited , and most local restaurants came across as being rather unhygenic ( rather like my kitchen back in cayman). well, thats all for this installment. one more report and then i will finish off with a little summary to end my reports.

to be continued......

Archived