Jobs finally wakes up

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1393

apple finally waking up and smelling the coffee!

It's pretty hard to justify forking out $3k+ for the latest powerbook when it's only 800mhz. Hell for that much you could get a 2.53GIGAhertz wintel laptop!

I love apple's aesthetic sense. But the "elitist" mentality has gotten old, way too fucking old.

I sold my beloved 400mhz tibook. frown.gif

But check this out... I sold it for $1300US! @#$% and that was selling it cheap! Before that, I purchased a no-brand laptop that I put together myself for $1200US. So in sense, I made a $100 profit for upgrading to a 2.2Ghz laptop. ROFLMAO, you know the apple commercials running the "I switched to apple"? They should hear my story! ^_^

when apple does finally move over to x86 chips(hopefully amd's) I will then rethink on "switching".

Moving away from the Mac OS to OSX (re-decorated NextStep) would enable them to move to any processor they choose. The old OS had so much dependence on the hardware and was such a mess that it had become unmaintainable, never mind porting to a completely different processor.

...I love apple's aesthetic sense. But the "elitist" mentality has gotten old, way too fucking old...

[color:blue]You know that iMac that came out a few months ago, the thing that looks like a bad table lamp? Well, Jobs rolled it out at one of those MacWorld rockshows, and of course the Mac faithful went "Oooh, aaah. Steve's done it again!" (all the while thinking "What the fuck IS that thing?").

What Steve won't tell you is that Apple had nothing to do with the design of that 'thing'. It was designed by Quanta in Taiwan, they pitched it to Steve, and he bought it. I suppose they have a strict non-disclosure agreement about that, to preserve Steve's "visionary" legend.

People have always said that Macs are easier, but I've never been able to get comfortable with a computer where the "backspace" key is actually the "delete" key. And the fact you needed to hold down the mouse button to keep a menu open. I heard they fixed those things...after 10 years.

I can't wait to get one of those iPod MP3 players for Windows, though.color=blue>

when apple does finally move over to x86 chips (hopefully amd's) I will then rethink on "switching".

Don't count on that happening anytime soon, certainly not before ia64. In terms of architecture, and not what a manufacture can squeeze out of it with enough inertia (i.e. ix86) it would be a step backword for anyone to move from a RISC to a CISC cpu. Apple has everthing invested in its hardware platform because thats where they make money. Don't expect them to switch over to a commodity platform because it seems like the right thing to do.

As far as OS X on ix86 not likely for the same reasons, but I would not be surprised if Open Darwin does not already run on iX86.

The new iMacs yuck but if it fails like the cube, not so yuck, people can just buy eMacs which are pretty nice if you like the original iMacs. I thought that the next generation iMac should be like the early one except that the extra space saved by the lcd display could be used to store a scooter helmet.

AG

>forking out $3k+ for the latest powerbook when it's only 800mhz

It's not only the number of MHz that matters here. For a same piece of software, compiled for a RISC CPU (which PowerPC CPU is), you get similar or better results when compared to a CISC CPU.

(I would never ever consider a MAC myself, just have lots of dealings with RISC CPUs in my job).

Archived