489 bulls = 1 baht?

well, the us dollar thread kinda got hijacked to some tangent so....

I really have no clue how the thai baht gets valued and such. I can only speculate. Perhaps some number crunchers(psst db) or finance junkies could enlighten me.

the dow shot up like a spacemonkey 489 points today. The dollar gained one baht as well making it 41.24 for $1US atm. Maybe this'll change. I also noticed that the nikkei shot up 118 points as well. So I'm guessing that the baht does follow certain markets. I read a post somewhere stating that it may be market independent.

489 points is a big jump but the baht had been slowly and steadily gaining vs. the dollar till today. I think it's the first day in awhile since the $ gained. Also, today was good but it's still confusing because the US has had negative losses for the past months now. Gah... I'm just confusing myself.

Just for us US folks, let's hope we can prove PM and sticky wrong. :p 37 baht/ $1US eek!

It is difficult to attribute short term moves in the baht to any specific economic event. The one thing that can be said with some certainty is that, over the medium to long term (years to decades), the dollar will strengthen against the baht.

J22J

Thailand has a few issues to figure out before they decide what to do with the bhat.. Most companies and the government would like to see a Strong Baht since most of the loans and debt is in $$. But they still need a strong economy which is export driven and needs a week Baht. I think anywheres in the low 40s is a safe bet until the economy gets back on its feet and then they will try and drive the baht till low 30s to save on debt reduction.. Just my look at things..

wowzers. dow just shot up 447 today. dunno whether to be happy or scared. I wonder if you could call this a "correction" to the stampede selling. I'm anxious to know whether the baht will be effected in any form in the coming days.

Archived