She's Sitting on My Lap (top)

zanemay

The faithful Mrs. Zane May, an IBM Thinkpad 600 circa 1998, lacks the zip my present standards require and she is has fallen a bit behind the times. I admit I have ridden her hard and done a lot of cosmetic damage. But too bad! I want what I want.

So I have started going to bed with her younger and bigger sister, a Thinkpad 600E. ( I am still keeping Mrs. May around just in case. Who knows, the new girl, like so many others, could wander off in Thailand.) But the new girl had two former husbands who diddled around with her insides and I am not finding everything where I expected it to be.

A couple of things lead me to believe that she has had the FAT32 treatment. First, when I do a "drive space" on her I get a blank 2 gig drive. But she has a 6 gig drive so I suspect a partition. Second, she baulks when I try to put her to sleep, and will not hibernate at all. I loved the way Mrs. Zane hibernated. We would be carrying on, I would get tired and close her lid and go to sleep. When I woke up I would pop her open and we would go on exactly where we left off. I have read that if your girl has been 32 FATted, she will not hibernate.

So...I want her to hibernate. I don't really want a partitioned drive, if that's what it is, and I don't think I need FAT32.

She also gets on the phone by pulse dialing and I can't talk her into using touch tone. Anybody know how?

She is very beautiful and slim and cosmetically perfect. You can believe me when I till you she was not very expensive ($465). And I like the fact that she is my wife's sister. (No I am not from W. Virginia.)

How would you handle her?

Zane

Archived