Baht/Euro

Perhaps it's been posted before numerous times but cannot find it.

Vending machines will not be able to discriminate between the new one Euro coin and a ten Baht coin. Not just a rumour ... Actually saw it.

Amounts to at least one return ticket a year just getting your cigarettes cheap.

Merry Xmas ...

Yeah, I brought only 40 of them back because I will be back to LOS 17 January.

Enough time to screw a few parkmeters I hope, 55555 (always hated these things and never put a dime in there, got a few fines though - especially in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg - on one occasion, in front of the Grand duke's palace, I parked my buggy, threw an empty can of coke in the bin on the side walk next to the buggy and a cop was working on a ticket already)

The electronic machines do measure the speed and mag flux of the coins moving through them. I used to work on pokey machines in the UK 14-15 years ago. At the time if you spat some beer in the slot it used to sometimes short of two contacts on the PCB and the machine would just keep clocking up credits. As far as I am aware the now have dalt with that problem. Sounds as if the 10B coins have the same magnetic footprint as the 1Euro.

Hello,

The problem with the 2 euro-coins is that they have the exact same weight, alloy etc of a 10 baht coin, only the picture is different. Now you could scan for that, but the problem is also that the euro-coins have a national side, and you would have to scan for wear and tear too, so it's almost impossible to distinguish.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

quote:

Originally posted by db_sed_aloha:

Guilty as charged. ;-)

Just found
with pix of all coins.

The technique could still work though since the silver/copper pattern of the two coins are opposite. Nyah-nyah-nyah...

DB,

Nope, wrong again, so is the original poster, clickonline: It's the two euro coin which equals 10 baht. I happen to have them both next to my keyboard here, ngap-ngap-ngap...

btw, just noticed I have two different 10 baht coins, one with a wat Arun like temple (older one) the other has two elephants and the text on the silver part is completely different on both sides.

Wait for the first working day next year to put this in practice....

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

quote:

Originally posted by thalenoi:

DB,

Nope, wrong again, so is the original poster, clickonline: It's the two euro coin which equals 10 baht. I happen to have them both next to my keyboard here, ngap-ngap-ngap...[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

OOPS ... You could be right. Watched a 10 Baht coin dropped into a vending machine and the display went to two but still very much mixing up guilder and Euro.

All the better. Two return tickets.

Technological solutions as suggested may work but vending machines just look at size and weight it was explained and basically it was recognized to be tough luck. No chance in hell "they" will upgrade a few hundred thousand vending machines in Europe overnight.

The way I understood things, it's not even illegal either. It's not about counterfeiting or something. Could be misinformed though ....

Seems like the 10 Baht coin may become rather scarce rather soon.

Archived