English language classes in Thai universities

harlequinbkk

I have a friend here in Bangkok, a young lady who majors in Japanese at Thammasat University. Most of her courses are in Japanese language, of course, but she does take one English language course - a department requirement, I think. I meet her 2 or 3 times a month, usually for coffee, and inevitably she brings along her latest English homework so her kind-hearted native English-speaking friend can check it (well, she does reciprocate with some help in my Thai studies).

Her homework mostly consists of composing sentences in English that utilize some particular point of grammar. Now, I am a native speaker but don't have any specialized training in teaching English, so I can tell you what is correct English grammar, but may struggle with explaining exactly why it is correct. Then again, since I have not formally studied English grammar in a few decades, perhaps I could not say with absolute certainty that any given sentence in technically correct in terms of grammar, but I can say it is good enough to be used in the English-speaking community.

However, when I look at my friend's homework assignments, I get the impression that her English-language teacher (a Thai) is trying to teach a very rigid, formal and (in my mind) somewhat convoluted version of the English language. In many cases I have supplied my friend with an answer to a question on her homework, an answer that I think is perfect valid and understandable English, yet the next time I see her, she tell me that her teacher has rejected this answer - the 'correct' answer that he gives is either just a paraphrase of my answer, or something that seems awkward and unnatural to me.

Now, I am willing to accept that this teacher knows his English grammar - he teaches at Thammasat, a first-rate university. But I wonder about the value off his class. I feel sorry for my friend and her classmates, putting in all this effort and struggle to learn an aspect of English that seems to me has little practical value in dealing with the English speaking world.

Do you think I perceive this situation correctly? Is this typical of English language instruction in Thai universities? I am sure we have all seen English signs in Bangkok that mangle the language so much that they are funny to read.

Harlequin

I would guess the instructor expects to see a sentence with a structure exactly the same as given in his classes. It must be difficult for a non-native speaker to be familiar with all the variations in a living and changing language like English.

Dictionaries and Grammar books can only attempt to describe the continuously changing language, they do not define it!

Not much consolation for your friend. I can only suggest concentrating on what you/she thinks the instructor expects to see, rather than on any correctly formed answer.

Good luck.

Do you think I perceive this situation correctly?

-------------------------

yep! Best way is an english tutor. Though, when it comes to writing, it is probably better to know your formal grammar well. catch 22, depends what the pupil expects from the classes. An entry into diplomatic circles, or a sound grasp of the language. As long as the teacher teaches something that is correct in any realm of english use, no harm, but the work in practical english conversation is still ahead.

Welcome to Thai education system.

One of the big problems for expats' children who go to Thai schools (as opposed to int'l schools) is that in English classes with Thai teachers they at first don't even recognize the language as English at all, when they do they laugh uncontrollably and, finally, when they correct the teacher they are told they are wrong and that they are violating the school discipline.

Archived