Windows XP firewall

I have XP Home edition. Anyone have comments as to how good the firewall is and any settings that might improve its effectiveness? Thanks.

PS I used ZoneAlarm for awhile with XP but had browser problems usually requiring a restart of computer.

Strange. I use ZA as well, but it never caused any conflicts with explorer for me. I use windows XP as well. I don't know about the effectiveness of the windows firewall, so I can't help you there.

You could also try out another freeware firewall called outpost. You can find it here:

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

cheers,

soongmak

The problem with my IE6 browser not functioning seemed to occur after resuming from standby or hibernation mode. I checked download.com for a newer version and read a few user reviews saying they had problems also with using ZoneAlarm on XP.

I like ZA and use it on my Win98. I like the window that opens to inform you when some program on your computer is attempting to access the internet. With XP I'm not sure what Bill G. is up to with my computer but can be sure the firewall is configured in such a way that information can be gathered without my (limited) knowledge.

The main problem with the windows xp firewall is that it offers you no control at all when it comes to preventing programs from your computer to connect to the internet. So basically any spyware already installed on your computer (including any microsoft program is allowed to access the internet - no problem. You can read all about it here:

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpmdfrw.htm

I have configured my ZA firewall in such a way that, with the exception of outlook express and internet explorer, no program may access the internet without my permission.

Why don't you give outpost a try? many people actually prefer it to zonealarm.

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived