My Two Cents on the Language Issue

I think it would be useful to allow limited posting in the Thai language, provided it is accompanied by an English translation.

First, the board already allows members to post messages that include English language characters that are supposed to represent Thai words. When members do this, they are posting messages in a language other than English.

Second, if the board is going to allow members to post messages that are supposed to represent Thai words, it should allow them to do so in a manner that increases the accuracy of such posts or at least makes them understandable. Transliterations between English and Thai are very difficult. I have seen a number of posts here where people are trying to use English characters to represent a Thai word, and I honestly have no idea what they are trying to say.

Third, we are all familiar with the old saying “something got lost in the translation.” Translation between Thai and English are also very difficult. Some of the more interesting posts I have seen involve conversations members claim to have overheard or had in Thai. (I know I have heard some overheard some amazing things when I have been around Thais who do not realize I can understand a good bit of what they are saying.) If members are able to do so, I would love to see the actual Thai version of such conversation.

I recognize that this is an English language board, and that some members might feel put out when confronted with a post containing Thai font they are unable to read. This is why I suggest a limited use of Thai language (a sentence or two at the most) followed by an English translation, no matter how crude.

P.S. to Khun Sanuk: I have posted this on the general discussion board because my post is more about the rules that govern this board, which I consider an item of general discussion, than the Thai language itself. I hope you don't mind.

Archived