Who is the white guy singing thai songs?

korsow

Hi, I just returned from LOS from a 2 week vacation and I saw this white guy on tv a couple of times who speaks fluent thai and sings also. While I didn't understand anything it sounded like some sort of dialect he's singing (it's not pop or anything). Anyway, what's the story here? Where's he from? Was he borne there or did he learn thai later in his life (gives me hope of ever learning thai)?

Thanks,

Korsow

Also there is christy gibson, I believe both of their parents were members of some wacky christian sect, don't know if they are followers or not. I like some of Jonas's stuff, wish I could sing like that, christy I don't like at all as she sings with no feeling at all. Jonas has the reputation of having a good heart which goes a long way. Even if you are a great singer get above yourself and the crowd will soon bring them down to size. This happened to Jintara when she became famous she refused to shake hands with the crowd one time and they pelted the stage and the concert got canceled. After that she did not give a big concert for quite a time. we could do with that in the west where many artists believe in thier own publicity too much-peter

The interesting thing here is what a great response this guy has received from the Thai people.

That is something for all you posters who claim Thais are such a racist people.

Sure, they dont like the farang asholes who misbehave and dont treat the Thais as equals and with respect and simply do a lot of bad things in there beutiful country. But if you call that racism...

Well then i am a racist to.

Cheers

Yeah, well, I worked and studied for 6 years in Texas and knew many Crackers who thought Michael Jordan was a Hell of a guy. What passes for Thai nationalism at times becomes thinly veiled discrimination against foreigners.

It's like the stupid double pricing scheme. If you are Thai or keep your mouth shut as an Asian you can pass. Even if you are a Thai national and white you might have a problem (as occurred at the Grand Palace last year).

The interesting thing here is what a great response this guy has received from the Thai people.That is something for all you posters who claim Thais are such a racist people.Sure, they dont like the farang asholes who misbehave and dont treat the Thais as equals and with respect and simply do a lot of bad things in there beutiful country. But if you call that racism...

Well then i am a racist to.

One could just as well argue that Khun Kitsch's popularity exemplifies Thai ethno-centricism. Does a foreigner have to ape Thai culture and sing hillbilly songs with an accent to be accepted?

IMO it is really difficult to pin down the attitudes of the larger population based on how they receive celibrities. In Indonesia transvestites are very popular on TV but I doubt that many would allow them in their parlors.

However I quite agree with you about misbehaving visitors they deserve contempt and more.

AG

The Dutch Lead singer w/ 'Soi Dog Blues' does commercials & traffic reports in Thai!

Much like Thais sing Farang pop hits without speaking a word of English.. singing is one thing doing professional 'news type' stuff is another level.

If 'Thai ethno-centricism' existed to any degree surely they would not ape western pop so much, where seemigly anyone with a half western parentage and a pretty face can make a success from no talent. A westerner does not have to sing morlam to be accepted. If anything I wish there was more Thai ethno-centricism, then we might have less Macdonalds, less Starbucks, Pizza Hut and less crap music in Thailand-peter

The point I was trying to make is that Khun Kitsch (Jonas) because he is a celebrity is not a great example to prove or disprove prejudice on behalf of the Thai people. As far as the Thais you mentioned who achieve succes by aping western pop music or because of mixed parentage have a look at the article I posted in the board bar : hybrid whitebread.

From what I have read Jonas is competant in a difficult vocal repetoire, and has been making merit by being active in Christian charity. More power to him. I don't mean this as an insult to Jonas, but if I could teach an oranghutan to sing "Two Hoots and a Holler" and bring him to the Grand Ol Oppry I am certain he would be very popular and we might even sell some records. However doing so could hardly be used to evidence the general attitude towards oranghutans among the people of Nashville, or among those that watch the Grand Ol Oppry on TV.

I'll stop here because I don't want to incite one of those Thais are aren't racist arguments. My point has been one could also take the point of view that Jonas is popular/accepted because he has adopted a Thai mantle. However IMO because Jonas is a celebrity neither position should be used to evidence Thai attitudes towards non thai people in general.

AG

Archived