dual citizenship

Ok,

I formerly stated that Thais were generally not entitled to have dual citizenship and whenever a Thai gains a new nationality he/she is required to inform the authorities in Thailand. Thereby he/she would lose rights regarding heritate, landownership etc.

My source was an employee at the Thai embassy in London. I later asked my friend if she could show me this law in writing and as she was looking for it she asked a high ranking diplomat and he told her the following:

1. Thai diplomats/government officials are permitted 2 passports. The 2. is an official passport which allows the holder to travel abroad without needing to apply for a visa (not every country)

2. There is no law saying Thais aren't allowed dual citizenship

3. However, if a Thai gains a 2. nationality and makes a formal statement to Thai authorities he/she will be asked to chose one citizenship

4. If the non-Thai citizenship is chosen the Thai will then be treated as a foreigner in Thailand

"1. Thai diplomats/government officials are permitted 2 passports. The 2. is an official passport which allows the holder to travel abroad without needing to apply for a visa (not every country) "

This is a diplomatic passport, which is a nice thing to have when travelling. It usually has nothing to do with needing a visa or not though. But it speeds up the process in most cases.

Archived