Real Telephone Line

aussiedoug

The are two providers and they may or may not have a line available. Contact TA and TOT (they have web sites) apply. If they have a line it could take less than a month - if not you may grow old and gray.

There is now only an install fee that has to be paid AFAIK and that is around 3,500 baht I believe. Charge is 100 baht per month and 3 baht for each local call.

Until recently people sold numbers with the going rate being about 20,000 baht. From my inability to get new lines from either provider currently, that situation may be returning.

• 2 weeks later...

Telecom asia is generally considered better but unavailable in many locations. Not sure if a bribe to the right person would change availibility, if not it would be one of the few things here money wouldnt change.

Not sure about ta but tot requires you to have a work permit and figure a month or so for installation. Check with your apt manager first as they sometimes have lines available. I got my tot line from my apt for a 1500 bt installation fee (probably took em 10 minutes) and a deposit of 10000 bt.

This brings up an important point. If a decent telephone line (ie internet connection) is important, only a fool would rent an apt without finding out details about this (not just promises) first. Take it from one who has been there and done that.

"If a decent telephone line (ie internet connection) is important, only a fool would rent an apt without finding out details about this (not just promises) first."

Believe the above was meant as a general comment? smile.gif

I have both TA and TOT lines in my home. And have had phone service since 1978. But now would like a line for the maid to use so have these requests in.

"There is now only an install fee that has to be paid AFAIK and that is around 3,500 baht I believe. "

I think there is no installation fee for TOT and TA anymore. They started to install the lines for free since sometime around december last year. Perhaps because of the tough competition from mobiles. But still many apartment buildings will request for some kind of fee themselves, some a one time fee, others a monthly fee! Very important to check availability before you rent a place, house or apartment.

Best regards,

Danish30

I believe there was and is an install fee (or whatever they want to call it) but previously there was also a (refundable) deposit and that deposit is no longer required. Believe you still have to pay something when the line is installed. House has been owned by family since 1973 so tenet fees are not an issue.

Archived