xp switcharoo?

ok. my guess is that I may not be able to do this but here goes...

I left my original win xp disk in the states and I need it to install the Thai fonts and such. So....

Is it possible to get a new xp disk at pantip and reinstall the OS while retaining my current settings/programs?

I was retarded and didn't bother to make multiple data partitions when loading xp pro. Another thing about wanting a new xp disk is the SP 1 upgrades.

It'd be really difficult to backup my settings/programs without another hdd. I tried looking for a firewire external hdd at pantip but all I saw was usb 2.0. If I have to shell out money for an external hdd, I'd prefer it to be firewire for it's speed.

USB 2 is as fast as Firewire, or so close you'd not know the diffferance, it something like 100X ( ? ) faster than USB 1.1

You need a USB 2 card.

Be careful with Panthip MS products, since office 2K SR 1 there has been additional MS hurdles.

The MS SR1 patch to my Panthip Office 2k disabled my computer!.. not just Office, it disabled Win 98 SE too!.. I understand MS did the same thing to unregistered but legal 2k also!

Win Me on my laptop, will not load my Panthip Office 2K.

When my web host upgraded it's FP extensions to FP 2002, my Panthip FP on a Win 98 SE box was recognized and disabled! :-o.. FP no longer functioned, the 'street' FP I had to get for my Laptop loaded & all was forgiven.

I'd say be very careful the Panthip MS #s... once "flashermac" provided a link to a site that had additional MS#s.. ?

No more Panthip MS products for me!

with questions like this we all miss 'ol Doxy!

cowboy,

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/supergeek/jump/0,24331,3393574,00.html

you are sorta-kinda correct. in the article, usb 2.0 theoretically is faster than firewire but what ends up happening is that the extra overhead for usb makes it slower.

the whole point of getting an external hdd for my laptop is to break the 4500rpm barrier. although ibm has a laptop hdd that now runs at 5400rpm, it's pricey and hard to get. I've a behemoth of a cpu(2.34gHz) and the main bottleneck is the hdd speed. my laptop does support usb 2.0 but it also supports firewire. if I was to get a 7200rpm hdd, I'd want it to be firewire to ensure the 7200rpms.

anyhoo..... back to my initial query.

If I get the latest win xp pro disk w/ SP 1 and slap that in my drive to install over my current xp, will that wipe out all my settings/programs?

It is possible for me to reformat my hdd and fresh install a new OS, but I have alot of programs I DLed while I was in the states. It'd take aeons to DL them here in bkk with my CS internet connection(dial-up sucks donkey balls!). Hmmn, I'm actually considering getting adsl but dunno about the contract....

Can?t answer your question directly but a word of caution about XP at Pantip.

Got XP pro there installed and worked no problem. Then got SP1 on a CD from Pantip and it recognized the dubious provenance of the XP installation and totally screwed up the OS by freezing everything and putting up a hostile message about illegal copy (as if I would!).

Fortunately I had a Win Me start up disk and was able to access the HD and delete all the Win stuff and reinstall XP and everything worked OK again. Interestingly I installed SP 1 and SP 2 from the Windows update site and had no problems at all and everything works fine now.

So if you do install XP from a Pantip CD I suggest you get the SP 1&2 patches from the Windows update site.

I personally do not like USB 1, have not tried USB 2.

USB 1 mics & mice are eratic as hell!.. I use Dragon Voice Recognition for reports ( 'Gnat'urally Speaking always spells correctly ), the USB mics are all but useless due to the USB interupts.

Did you catch the Screensavers last night ( sept 9 )going over the security holes in XP, microsoft is a scary company.. I'd bet the hole is there so MS can disable systems!

They deleted files on a 'test computer' by just going to a HTML page on Leo's web site!.. did not even click a link, just going to the page the 'hacker code' was able to delete files on a remote computer!

MS has disabled almost all of my MS Panthip software over the past 2 years.

edit:

I posted without opening your link, firewire certainly has a BIG advantage.

>>>>>>

The great tragedy of Science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact. ~ Thomas Henry Huxley

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tom's has a pretty good USB / Firewire article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/02q3/020827/mobile_data-01.html

In the comming year, USB 2.0 should widen the bottleneck with its 480 MBit/s. With its large bandwidth (larger than FireWire at 400 MBit/s) and guaranteed backward compatibility,

Make sure you're not using a pirate version of XP if you want the SP1 upgrade ..... this from the BKK Post yesterday:

"By the time you read this the latest update for Windows XP will be available. For those of you who bought the update last week, you probably picked up a pre-release version and should get the real one.

Do you need it? If you are using a pirated or illegal version of Windows XP then I recommend you do not install SP1 because it will eventually lock your computer."

Archived