Farang Murdered in Pattaya Driveby Shooting

Sukhumvit

BBC News report that a 34 year old Stoke on Trent man has been shot dead by a motorcyclist assassin in a drive by shooting in Ptty as he returned home. Reports state that he was a 4 year resident of LOS and involved in a relationship with a bar owner with whom he had a child.

Anyone we know?

A few female bar owners have the reputation of "black widows", quite sad that someone's stay in Thailand had to end up in a pool of blood on the side of the road. Another reason not to get involved in the bar business. One of my neighbours who was part owner of a very prominent GoGo, had to hire "bodyguards" after a dispute with the other thai part-owner. Pattaya has a murky underbelly, to say the least.

Tragic. What I found curious about these incidents is that I almost always first learn about them from the foreign press. I don?t recall seeing anything in the local press here.

When the Australian accounting partner from Deloitte, Michael Wansley, was murdered about three years ago, it received more press outside of Thailand than in for the first day or so. It was only after the foreign financial press (Asia Wall Street Journal, FEER, etc.) began making inquiries that the story was given more prominence in the Thai press. A friend of mine who used to work for one of the local English language papers told me that his editor was told to downplay the story because it ?makes Thailand look bad.? It was only after the story became big news in the serious press that it became serious news in the local press.

This story probably won't make the cover of the Asian edition of Business Week as did the murder of Michael Wansley, but it is curious that the first written report I see on the Pattaya murder is from the BBC. I guess it will be rather difficult to claim this one was a suicide.

Archived