Premier Fantasy League reflections

Froggy, I don't think that you're going to find this year's league quite the piece of cake you did last year LOL My god, there are some quality players around. I notice that two members got over 70 points and that's an incredible score for one week. We may have fewer members compared to last year, but it's going to be a hell of a scrap among the 20-odd in the Nana League.

One thing I'm confused about (and not sure if I like it) is the awarding of bonus points for a good performance or outstanding contribution to the game.

Take Dieter Hamman of Liverpool, who was in my midfield. He conceded two goals, got a yellow card, made no assists and ended up with a paltry one point. Then in a later update he'd been awarded 3 points more for a 'bonus performance'

OK I won't complain, but nowhere on the site can I find how these bonus points are awarded. Who decides? How are they awarded? How many awards can one team have? How many can be awarded in one game? etc etc. It seems like a huge grey area to me.

Anyway, lets get on with the serious stuff next week. (I see all the points are now back to zero)

Phil,

I agree with you. Several good clubs out there this year run by seemingly clever and knowledgable managers. Scores in the 70s and 80s - Kudos to these new folks. As I have calmed down some since the latest site mess, I again send out good fortune to all.

As for the new game, things I like:

1. instant updates

2. one free transfer weekly

3. Robert is finaly a midfielder, though Riese (sp?) could be a defender!

4. Keeper saves counted. Maybe the West Brom keeper might be an option, after all.

and what I don't:

1. irritating delays which have all but washed away the "decided" advantage some of us may have had from last years ckyi game. In essence, managers who may have been deep in the bowels of the league by game week 6 are still alive and well. Since they aren't killed off now, they surely will come around to haunt us smile.gif

Seriuosly, as the above is tongue-in-cheek, this aspect of the new game actually has its advantages, namely that most teams should be competitive well into 2003. That will keep the game interesting to all (even that minnow, Racha, who regularly scores in the 20s) smile.gif

2. As you say, this "3 points for good play" is odd. I would agree with the man of the match getting three, but this seems very subjective. By the way, who actually decides m.o.m.?

3. Most importantly, 100 million appears to make the game a tad easier, and maybe somewhat less complex. Kind of like playing raquetball instead of squash.

With 70 million last year, managers had to find "value" players that will likley now be overlooked this year. So, now managers can fill their squad with Henry, Becks, and Robert, etc. The fact that managers were forced to play low-cost Eveerton midfielders and Bolton defenders as they tried to find a way to make their squad work for 70 million was quite enjoyable.

Anyhow, bygones. It is a new year, with a new sponsor, new managers, and new rules. I hope the damned site works, because it should be very enjoyable for all who play actively. Who knows, the changes may make the game even better than cyki. Time shall tell.

My fear is that site problems will apear midway through the campaign, but Racha assures me this will not occur. Right, mate?

froggo

I remember reading somewhere on the site that bonuses for outstanding performances are awarded on the basis of media consensus. I like it - it's one of the things that makes it harder and more interesting to choose players, together with awarding goalies points for saves.

I don't like the one transfer per week bit though. It makes it too easy - everyone's going to take advantage of it to switch things around week by week. It's the only thing that doesn't ring true - it's not as if real managers would do one transfer exchange per week.

The other strange thing is the way they haven't adjusted the transfer fees during the lengthy pre-season. The best-value players are becoming too apparent.

Excellent! If Froggo doesn't understand, I'll send him a video. One of the few blessings of being in the UK is the comedy shows - I had never seen any of the first series of Phoenix Nights but will snatch up the DVD once I've got a player. What about Bo Selecta - I was quite astonished at some of the stuff on that - the little bear that gets very visibleerections when he's interviewing the female guests - my wife has been quite troubled by stuff like that and all the gratuitous filth (thank god we've only got the terrestrial channels!)

LG

Yes, Ricky Gervais was another unknown to me until last week and is now on my 'must watch' list - he was on Room 101 last night, a repeat I think, but he and Merton were on fine form and I see 'The Office' which I have also never seen is starting soon. Sad as anything, but I already really look forward to Friday nights, staying in watching TV (3 episodes of Friends, the soaps, They Think It's All Over, Celeb (disappointing but it has its moments) Have I got News For You, Bo, Ricky and Phoenix Nights repeats! - good job there's nothing else to do here! I'm also working my way through Father Ted compilations from the library!

All in all, though, I think I prefer naked women.

LG

Archived