How do you ask what the "Classifier" is?

gawguy

Hello Gents,

I have a very difficult time communicating the "classifier" concept when I want to ask someone to tell me one.

For instance, a guy was selling watches while I was sitting with a bar girl. I wanted to tell him I already had 10 watches.

I turned to the bar girl, "Me naliga sip...arai, sip...arai?" Finally she got it and told me "an."

Is there a word they will understand for "classifier." How do I say, "What is the classifier for X?"

Thank you.

I love reading all the responses and interchanges to such questions!

GG

Hi,

The Thai for classifier is LAK-SA-NA-NAHM Åѡɳ¹ÒÃ.

I think you could say LAK-SA-NA-NAHM KHAWNG NALIGA KHEU ARAI Åѡɳ¹Òâç¹ÒÌÔ¡Ò¤×ÃÃÃäà (what is the classifier for watches? - its REUAN àÃÕù by the way).

I have found though that if the Thai you're asking has had a minimal education, they may not know what 'LAK-SA-NA-NAHM' means, although they would of course know how to use classifiers correctly in speech.

Hope that helps.

My dictionary says -ÈѾ·ìºÃ¡¨Ó¹Ç¹·Õèà»ç¹ªÔé¹ (sub bok jamnuan ti pen chin) which I think is pretty wordy. I might try ¤Ó¹ÑºµÑÇ (kam nup tua). But to tell the truth I've never had an occasion to ask. My standbys are Ãѹ (an) for inanimate objects and 楀 (tua) for animate objects but only in emergencies.

I always just venture my best guess, then ask if I used the correct word, or ask if is that work or another.

i.e. "I have watch 10 an. Is that correct? 10 an or 10 wong"

Qoute: "I have found though that if the Thai you're asking has had a minimal education, they may not know what 'LAK-SA-NA-NAHM' means, although they would of course know how to use classifiers correctly in speech."

Right. I`ve noticed that too. Also when it comes to "Siang Wannayuk" I have occasionally been met with stares of total incomprehension.

Hua Nguu.

Hello,

Many educated Thais have problem with grammar. I am for one, would have a difficult time explaining some Thai grammar. all I am doing with Thai right now is reading and a simple conversation with my family once a month.

I really admire you guys a lot for trying to learn Thai, it is not an easy task.

Cheers!

To be fair the majority of English speakers have trouble explaining the difference between an adverb or an adjective, what a gerund is, etc. Just goes to show that you can speak a language witout the benefit of a dictionary.

Back on subject I'd say the simplist way to ask for a 'classifier', would to be avoid the word classifier and say perhaps

'(thing) ¹Ñºà»ç¹ÃÃäÃ'

e.g. - ä¢è¹Ñºà»ç¹ÃÃäÃ

-¹Ñºà»ç¹¿Ã§

If you don't know the right classifier just use "an"

You will be understood and it is clearer than not using a classifier at all. "an" is used as a classifier for all objects that don't have a specific one (or one you can't remember smile.gif)

Check in the back of Robertsons Practical English Thai dictionary for a list of classifiers. It lists "an" as " a substitute for almost any other classifier"

Archived