Prison Museum

If you mean the Corrections Museum in Bangkok, on the site of a former prison (which is now a park), yes!

I saw it mentioned in Farang magazine, together with the "babies in bottles"/"mummified cannibals" museums at Siriraj hospital. I decided to make a sick day of it, seeing both.

It makes a strangely refreshing day out. It's free and yet no one goes there. It shows instruments of torture and execution (some of the exhibits were actually really used) and gives other interesting titbits of information about the Thai prison life. There's not that much to see - it takes about 30 minutes to 1 hour to look around, depending on how fascinated you become.

Go with your girlfriend. It adds to the fun - mine was being spooked out by the thought of all those ghosts!

The museums at Siriraj are also free, uncrowded and worth a look. They're most unlike western museums in that they don't care what they exhibit. Look for the criminal pathology museum which houses the notorious cannible See Uey.

Hi,

I think this Musem is in Lumphini park, right? At least that is what I figured out where I was when my girlfriend asked me if I wanted to go there. Haven't done so yet though.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

Archived