The Art of Misdirection

I have a 'pet theory' about the crackdown in Thailand. It goes like this: a good part of the crackdown, and the new social order generally, is intended to distract the public from government malfeasance and bungles.

If you look at either of the two top English language newspapers in Thailand (The Nation and the Bangkok Post), you will see that two stories dominate the headlines. First, the ongoing telecom furore, which is raising all sorts of uncomfortable questions about 'double standards' for a government headed by a telecom billionaire. Second, a new social order campaign requiring that all students undergo mandatory urine tests.

The timing is very interesting, and this is not the first time this has happened. A while back you might recall that gold and old circa 1930 US goverment bonds were allegedly discovered in the hills around Kachanburi near the Burma border, and that a certain PM suggested that this unexpected windfall would solve all of Thailand's economic problems. This lottery theory of economic development was, of course, ridiculed in the financial press. There was no gold and the purported US bonds were in amounts that did not exist in the 1930's (no one bothered to check this obvious give away.)

The government looked pretty foolish, but within a day the Kachanburi gold bungle was old news when the government machine gun executed five convicted drug traffickers in a single day. The press were invited in to take pictures of the condemned as they were led to the execution chamber. Those pictures dominated the front pages of the English and Thai press, and the Kachanburi gold bungle was yesterday's news.

If my theory is correct, and it is only a theory, I would stay out of the bars of Nana, Patpong and Soi Cowboy the next time the government gets caught with their hands in the till or does something particularly foolish. A crackdown on evil farang sex tourists (perhaps involving mass arrests?) seems an excellent means of distracting attention from the next bungle.

I think you have a point, but dont forget the urine test thing is part of Purachai's new social order crusade, and is pretty consistent with other things he has been doing. I dont think he is bothered about who he stops enjoying themselves, as long as they are tucked up in bed nice and early as he was on New Years Eve.

If you are correct, and given the economic woes besetting Thailand at the moment then expect the crackdown continuing for a long time yet.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Johnny Was ]

Yes, you certainly can read some interesting things in today's Bangkok Post. An interesting blurb on promotion of the Thai travel industry came through a service we subscribe to here, and the blurb refers back to an article in the Bangkok Post where the acting governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand suggests that Thailand should try to repeat Spain's success as a major tourist destination:

quote:

Juthamas Siriwan, the acting governor of the TAT, said the government wanted the agency to create a theme for the industry.

``My idea is to repeat, not copy, the success of Spain. Thailand has many similarities with Spain in the variety and diversity of attractions. Our goal is to make Thailand a holiday destination in the region,'' she said.

Tourism plays a vital role in the Spanish economy. In 2000, Spain was the third most popular tourist destination in the world behind France and the United States, with about 44 million tourist arrivals.

She is exactly right. Everyone in the industry pretty much agrees that Spain is the best comparable to Thailand and that Thailand could potentially compete for some of the same tourist trade that goes to Spain. Which brings us back to the early closings...

In Spain dinner often doesn't finish until after midnight. The discos are open late. And Spain is not a notorious sex tourist destination. It attracts exactly the type of tourists that Thailand seeks to attract and potentially could attract. Think late night discos on Koh Samui.

What I can't understand is how Thailand intends to do this when all of the bars close at 2 am, the press is full of stories about mandatory urine tests (in bars, not schools) and the government has an anti-foreign reputation. I also can't figure out how the 2 am closings or harrassment of places like Q Bar are going to help solve Thailand's drug problem.

If there is some logic to any of this, I don't see it. To me, it seems more like they just don't have their act together (incompetence) more than any conspiracy.

A worthy and intelligent theory, William. Whether it will manifest exactly as you predict is debatable, but diversions and distractions are part of the corrupt politicians' toolbox all over the world.

Archived