What's the Thai stamp in my passport?

steffi

My visa on arrival extension from Soi San Plu said I had to leave by the 16th of September. But I remember you get 1 days grace so today 17th when I left, although I was not required to pay any money at my departure I did receive a rather mysterious thai script stamp in my passport. Now, I'm concerned because I really think it's out of order for the Thai's to be sending messages to themselves through my passport and not using english like any other stamp from Soi San Plu does.

So what is this Thai script stamp they stamped in my passport and why even though I had one days grace did I get it.

I've never stayed 1 day overstay in the past and I didn't want a record suggesting I had.

Never heard of the one day grace period, must be one of those internet BS things you read.. I really would not worry about one day!!!. If you look at suan plu you will not see many computers , they really do not share info with the other offices that well. Most of the info is just paper and stored away until they have a problem.. One day is not a problem so relax. What they would have done if they wanted to cause you a problem is fine you the 200B for the day.. That is about it.. You will be able to get another visa..

good luck

BBKBOY

Have overstayed, on my last 4 or 5 visits to the LOS. mostly between 15 and 30 day, overstays. Yes, its 200 baht per day, for overstay, minus 1, as there is a 1 day grace.

Now, I enter the exit area, with passport above my head, loudly declaring "overstay", to get quicker service, and it works.

Sporty

Relax, no problem. One of my countryman left Thailand last week with a overstay of 1911 days!

(His embassy had to issue first also a new passeport, because his old one was expired 2 years ago)

He had to pay 20,000 Baht in the "overstay box" at the airport(He was accompanied by a lawyer = 10,000 Baht)

I don't suggest to overstay, not at all. But if the tourist police don't catch you on the streets of Thailand, leaving the country seems to be not a problem.

(By the way my countryman is already back in Thailand with a Non-Immigrant-B Visa!)

Didier

You are not usually fined for one day overstay but it is just as illegal as any other amount of time in my understanding. When the stamp says you must leave by such and such a date it means that date.

I do understand how you were confused by others posting about a grace period however. Think we should look at that as 200 baht fine not being enough to pay for the time/hurt feelings so if only one day they don't do the paperwork and try to keep everyone happy.

From what has been posted (not that this is a good source) the stamp shouldn't be a problem, at least not if you avoid another overstay

Archived