Thailand in the news. Drug smuggler get life

haltest

Just heard this on BBC breakfast news and took on the website.

The family of a Briton jailed for life for smuggling heroin in Thailand has vowed to appeal against his conviction.

Julian Gilbey, an English language teacher from Sussex, was convicted of smuggling 4kg of heroin after being arrested at Bangkok's Don Muang airport last October.

A judge commuted the death penalty on account of Gilbey's earlier confession.

Gilbey's family, who live in Rothesay, in Scotland, has said all along that he was duped into carrying the drugs by an organised gang.

'Unfair trial'

His sister, Karen Cameron, said important evidence that could clear her brother was ignored by judges.

She said: "It wasn't a fair trial. There was a lot of evidence that wasn't allowed to be heard in the court.

"The lawyer had asked the judge if he would hear the evidence or if he would let him have letters from here and he refused all the way."

Ms Cameron said evidence from a key witness, Australian John Care, has not been heard.

She said Care was arrested in Austria for smuggling drugs and told police that he also thought he was carrying diamonds.

Armed guards

"He immediately wrote a statement to the police saying that the following day the same thing was going to happen and that Julian was involved," said Ms Cameron.

She called for intervention from the UK Government and said an appeal would be lodged.

Gilbey, 35, arrived at the Bangkok court in manacles and flanked by armed guards to hear sentence passed.

He appeared with four co-defendants - a Dutchman, a Thai woman and two men from Nepal.

They were caught trying to smuggle 4kg of heroin from Thailand to Taiwan at the end of last year.

All four men were convicted. The woman was acquitted.

Should i post??

I knew the guy,he was an asshole and very dumb to fell on the obvious trick.

The diamond scam is notorious,some guys I don't know got others to carry drugs for a ridiculous salary(wonder what kind of salary would really be worth it for such a risky job) claiming they would be carrying diamonds.

But again forget the teacher part,Gilbey wasn't a nice guy(nor a smart one)

Does anybody REALLY believe that they are carrying 4 KG of DIAMONDS ?????

At $1000 per gram thats......????

BTW the going rate is 20K US per Kg to Amsterdam. (For Nam Pla of course.)

Enjoy.

"Does anybody REALLY believe that they are carrying 4 KG of DIAMONDS ????? "

It's only about the uncut diamond production of South Africa for 1 year I think.Obviously the kind of stuff one sends out of Thailand every couple of weeks

Archived