Trip report: Poipet visa run

Bembaman

Just done a visa run and this might help anyone needing to do a run but not decided where to go.

Go to Mor Chit Mai (new) Northern bus terminal. Bus 77 from Mor Chit skytrain will take you there.

Go to ground floor ticket booth 30 or 31 and get a return to Aranyaprathet for B295 (10% discount for the return, B164 single). I got the 8.30 am and was in Aranyaprathet for 12.30. You do not have to commit to a return time and can book it when you get there. I got on the 2.30 PM back and was back in Mor Chit for 7 PM.

At Aranyaprather get a tuk tuk for B50 to the border. No need to haggle as the price is fixed and displayed. At the drop off from the tuk tuk look to the right and you will see Thai flags which indicate the Thai end of the border. Pass through the Thai exit and you enter a scruffy 50 metres or so 'no mans land' between the 2 countries.

Cross over the road and you apply for the Cambodian visa at a little office. A bloke came running out and asked for B1100. The visa is B1000/$20 but there is a well entrenched B100 surcharge which whilst irritating I was not going to spoil my day over.

You then go a further 40 metres or so to the entry into Cambodia. Here I got a shock but I suppose i shouldn't have been that surprised. This guy also wanted B100. I refused to pay any more and he threatened to keep me at the border until 5PM and write in my passport that i should not be allowed out of Cambodia until 5PM. I offered him my pen and invited him to do it. He stamped my passport and threw it back at me:-) That felt good I can tell you.

You then cross the road and exit Cambodia. Guess what? Yes, you got it, this cunt wanted B100 too. I told him I already paid, had no more money and would not pay. He shrugged and waved me through.

Walk the 50 metres back to the Thai entry gate, on the left, fill out the forms with a photo handy and you are back in Thailand having had a 30 second holiday in Thailand.

B50 back to Aranyaprathet and back on the 2.30 pm bus.

The border is a bit of a shit area, amputees, beggars, kids of 2 and 3 perfectly able to pick a farang pocket. There is a fairly good market at the border for basic stuff with good prices but the kids begging and following you around will spoil that for you.

Hope that helps anyone thinking of doing it.

No, never stayed over. No real point from a visa point of view as there is no consulate in poipet so all you can get is a 30 day tourist pass which you get after your 30 seconds in Cambodia! From what i saw of Aranyaprathet there would be no reason whatsoever to stay there unless your wings are clipped in Bangkok and you want to enjoy a night's freedom! :-)

Just for curiosity, did somebody ever make the SAME trip from Pattaya (on his own, not using a travel agency) ??

I just like to do it myself, eventually without going to Bangkok first. (I stay in Pattaya.)

"Just for curiosity, did somebody ever make the SAME trip from Pattaya (on his own, not using a travel agency)"

Yes but I drove there in my car so that's probably not what you want to hear.

I would guess though that you could do it but it would involve some bus hopping, say getting to Rayong and then hop one North to Sa Keow and they East from there. Or it may be possible from Chonburi through Ban Bung direction. Lots of local buses would be involved I'd guess.

There was a 'trip report' to Poipet by Zanemay a few months ago but I don't know if he started from BKK or Pattaya so have a search for that and it may help. I remember he did it on local transport though.

On the issue of the 3 X 100 baht that Bembaman mentioned in his post I must say that I've never been hit up for this although I have seen other farangs argueing the toss about it.

It seems to be a quick service fee so's you can turn around at the border without going through the procedures to actually enter Cambodia and leave aagain, don't know why I've never been asked to contribute though.

I've done the same run a few times... I just did it again 2 days ago.

From the B1,100 Quoted above:

The B1,000 is the Cambodian Visa.

The B100 is a Tip to the guy who tries to help you fill out the forms... I just gave him B20 for using his pen. BTW He keeps the forms hidden under his papers in the corner of the counter... He'll also make sure you fill out both the Visa Form and the Arrival/Depature form. Better to pay him something then to hassle with trying to find them... Don't forget you need a Photo for the Visa form also.

Next there is a B100 fee for Quick-Turn around at the Cambodian Entry Stamp window. I just pay it and then there is no hassle at the Departure window... Just remind yourself that it takes B500 to get out of Bangkok by Air... so this little added charge is cheap in comparison.

BTW... If they do hold you in Cambodia until 5, YOU ARE SCREWED... The Thai side Visa office closes at 5. So you are stuck in Cambodia until the next day.

Pay the B100 baht... not worth the frustration and Hassle... Remember these guys are in control of your life... Don't fuck with them. You'll regret it later.

Total cost at the Border... B1,120 - B1,200, depending.

And watch those little kids... Don't be afraid to wave them away... and NEVER give any of them ANYTHING... Not even a Candy. It will make you a target. Just NEVER PUSH OR HIT any of them... Keep walking and don't look or talk with them... and don't let them get too close... Watch your pockets and bags. They will eventually get the message and look for another "Mark".

The bus back leaves every Hour on the HALF-Hour time yourself so you won't end up missing a Bus by 2 minutes like I just did... And then I had to sit around PoiPet Bus station for an hour.

Last piece of advice... Bring a GirlFriend along with you to cuddle on the trip... Better then sharing a seat with a stranger that can't talk with you.

Enjoy...

CS

That was not my experience. The first guy did not help fill out the forms and I did not fill out the exit paper until the entry point to Cambodia. Let us also remember that the B100 fee' as you refer to it, is an extorted bribe-there is no receipt and it is not part of the official procedure. I did pay B100 at the first visa application office but was not willing to pay it a 2nd and then a 3rd time at the exit and re-entry check points. There was little chance of him writing it in my passport in my view, a little stupid to document the whole affair.

I do not particularly care about B100 but let us not legitimise it, because for sure B100 will be B500 before you know it if you go down that route.

Yup, people living in a foreign country should really be concerned about their $2.50.

I'd call you a Ch*** Cu** but flaming is not allowed.

If you really feel rhat everything was not "legitimate"....then file a legitimate complaint with the authorities, spend several hours (days) grieving it and get your self-rightous justice to this grand scheme to "official" injustice.

Get a grip on reality...... The rest of the world's, not yours!

You spend more for a coffee or a beer than this poor bloke feeds his family on today.

Sorry, but I'm tired of hearing all this whining about how we "poor" Falangs are "ripped" off by everyone in LOS.

BULLFEATHERS !!!

Nothing personal..... enjoy.....sanuk for ALL !! smile.gif

Archived