Water taxi?

sonny

I asked at the tourist box near panthip plaza about the stops and fares, although the station was about 50 yards away the girl had no idea where the boats went or what the stops were, she did give me a map of bangkok though!

On the platform, reached by a metal staircase down, was a falang bloke on his own in a wheelchair. He must have gotten off a boat and wanted to get to the other side via the bridge. How he got in and out of the boats is a mystery as my boat went off first. I was there long enough to see the guy nag some thai's into taking the wheels off the chair and carrying him over the bridge to the other side, then putting the wheels on again. This must be the hardest way for a disabled person to get about in BKK.

I cannot recommend the boats much, they pull plastic sheets up at the side so it's difficult to see where you are, the water of course is filthy. Getting off the boats can be tricky, and it's difficult to know where you are. I got off way past where I should have. Cheap at 15 baht and quick, but sit in the middle, an eyefull of that water would not be good.-peter

>closest spot to Sukhumvit <

long street that Sukumvet @ chitlom, Soi 3-Nana, Soi Asoke, Soi Eckhima ( SP? )

If you know the Klong you can quickly & inexpensively go from Wat Pho to Lad Prao.. Main line ends near the WTC / Panthip.. smaller boats continue down to Wat Pho / near Chao Praya .. & smaller boat out to lad prao as well..

The canal is on the same side of Suk as Cowboy / Nana / Soi 33.. opposite side as Nana... just before New Petchiburi

'Eckhima boat stop' is visable from the Eckhima Klong bridge, the entrance is behind the 'green high rise' with McDonalds..

stops are near both Asok & Soi 3...

I used to stay Soi 23 Eckhima, could be to WTC in 15 minutes via Klong or 2 hours via Taxi!

1st ride wear secure sole shoes & "loose clothing" are recommended & non-dry cleaning clothing.. see Thias in suits & heals jumping on & off..

quite impressive to see a Thai lady in business suit, heals, brief case .. hoping on & off the boats! lub it ut mutt!

It is all but a 'pony express' entry / exit.. the boat does not stop!

.. you will ( WILL ) get a drop or 2 of Klong on your clothing... I find edge seating with control of the plastic to be dryist! :-)

I've seen kids swimming in the Klong & witnessed a droped phone retreved by a diver next to the stop.. impressive dexterity, talking on a cell while exiting a Klong boat.. 'diver kid' pulled up 3 or 4 phones before the right one appeared!

Archived