VISA on ONE WAY TICKET, S.O.S. please help!!!

the_numbers

So, everyone probably knows the stipulation about having an onward or return ticket on arrival in Thailand, when you are issued a tourist VISA. I purchased a one-way ticket, and now the travel agencies are telling me I should call the consular, or be able to produce proof of onward travel, or immigration might hassle me, and/or not let me in (issue a 30 day visa).

My question is... legitimate problem or not. I plan on working for awhile, but have to line it up and do interviews and what have you once arriving. Then subsequently would apply for a work VISA, is this a bad call?? I thought if I ran out of time I could easily buy a domestic ticket on THAI to Vientiane or Yangon, and then return with a restored VISA, or even do a land crossing to bide time. In any case -- do any of you have experience with one way tickets, and lack of proof of onward travel. In my mind it seems like it is a non-issue, and that Thai immigration will not be harsh about it, but don't want to run into trouble at the gates after 29 odd hours in transit.

Your help is appreciated

the_numbers

Of the 7-8 times I entered Thailand, I was never asked for my airline ticket. However on the departure card you are asked to enter your return flight number. I sometimes mistakenly put a wrong flight number, and nothing happened.

However I suspect that if something happens that raises suspicion, they may request to see your ticket and like most countries, I guess they want you to have a return ticket as a proof of your intention to leave.

Suggestion-1: if it's not too late, buy an open ticket that you may cash in at 50% of buying price anytime for a year; this should come at about the same price as your one way ticket .

Suggestion-2: Get a 3 month tourist visa before departure; will cost you less than 20$ and will save you a travel to Cambodia where entry visa (tax) is and exit fees (another tourist tax ?) is about 40 US$, not counting airfare and stay in PP.

As to getting a work visa from within Thailand, I's almost sure that like for all visas, you have to apply from outside the LOS.

Good luck anyways

SM

I've never heard of Thai Immigration asking to see anybody's onward/return ticket. But I have been asked by the airline to show Thai visa in passport. It is the airline that has responsibilty if they take a passenger to a destination that they cannot legally enter. Getting turned away at your home airport is not as bad as being refused entry at BKK!

If you get an offer of legal employment, you will have to apply for a non-immigrant visa outside of the country with supporting documents from your prospective employer.

For peace of mind I recommend you get a 60 day tourist visa, which can be extended by 30 days inside the country.

Your biggest hassle is getting your passport to/from a Thai Consul before you leave.

I agree it is the airline that will be the problem. NO onward and no visa.....damn good chance NO boarding.

Get an onward ticket (BKK-PNP) or

Get a visa in advance. The consulate has never asked to see my tickets..ever.

Offers of employment will not satisfy airlines...been there, done that.

Supposedly airlines don't want passengers who don't have a visa and don't have a return ticket because the airline is responsible for returning the person to their country if a visa is denied. They don't want to have to deal with the possibility of having to foot the bill. If a person has a visa or a return ticket, they don't have to worry about that.

Just get a tourist visa from the embassy/consulate in your country.

Only if you wanted the visa faster than the usual processing time would they be more likely to want to see your dates of travel.

Otherwise it's not a problem.

Work visa once you're there? I know nothing.

Say you are traveling overland to laos / malasia which require no prior visas and ending up in Oz / NZ or somewhere to meet relatives. That one should get you through the airline unless they get real sticky and by the book. Immigration at Bangkok dont check your ticket and you will 99.99% of the time whizz through.

On the other point. Dont bother getting a work visa until you know the job is the one you want otherwise you will go through a load of effort and trouble for nothing. Consider a 60 day tourist visa sinel or multiple entry until you are settled.

First, there is a regulation that you need a CONFRIMED onward or return ticket when entering Thailand. However, it is up to the individual immigration officer whether he/she wants to see it or not. In most cases they do not want to see it but I have seen them asking.

One way to handle this is to contact a travel agent in Bangkok and ask them to make a booking for you and fax you the confirmation indicating your name, flight number, date and the address and contact details of the agent. Tell the immigration officer, if indeed he/she asks, that you purchase your onward ticket here in Thailand and show him/her the confirmation. A lot of people actually do this because it is cheaper (buy their tickets here, that is). You can cancel that booking later on when you are here.

This is NORMALLY no problem, though I can obviously not guarantee for it.

To apply for a 3 months tourist visa before you leave is definitely the safest option. It also gives you more time to stay here without having to leave the country every 4 weeks.

As far as I know, you cannot apply for a work permit right away. You will first need to apply for a non-immigrant visa. You need to do this outside of Thailand at a Thai embassy. Chances are best if you do it in your home country. Only after getting the non-immigrant visa, you can apply for a work permit.

Chop

Archived