"Never"

gawguy

I have so many questions and I hope I am not exhausting my credit. I appreciate all the help, believe me.

"never" when used in the past is "mai koy"

I want a short reply when asked for too much money from a vendor. "Pang!!" Sure. But what about "Never!"

"I never pay that much!"

"I will never pay that much!"

"I will never go back there again!" (To a vendor that overcharges.)

Thanks as always.

GG

How about " Mai (f) mee tahng " - translates as " no way " or " Mai (f) ao rork (l),paeng bpai noy " means " I certainly don`t want it,its a bit expensive " and " Pom ® mai (f) glap mah seu (h) eek dtor bpai nair (f) norn " meaning " I wont be back again ! " However personally, I wouldn`t bother with this last one as the guy has got your cash already and from my experience they are more interested in rip offs than repeat custom.

i never pay that much

Phom mai koei jai phaeng khanad nan

¼ÃäÃèà¤Â¨èÒÂᾧ¢¹Ò´¹Ñé¹

i will never pay that much

Phom (ja) mai jai khanad nan

¼Ã(¨Ã)äÃè¨èÒ¢¹Ò´¹Ñé¹

i will never go back there again

phom ja mai klap pai (sue) thi nan eek

¼Ã¨ÃäÃè¡ÅѺä» («×éÃ) ·Õè¹Ñè¹ÃÕ¡

However most of the time, i will just make an exclaimation face at them and ask 'how much again? (thao rai na ka, à·èÒäËÃè¹Ã¤Ã)' then say thanks and leave. They will get the message, no need to speak out your mind to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep it short, and to the point. When quoted a price that is too high, just respond with "mai seu." In this situation it means "I will not buy it [because the price is simply too high]."

As you become better in Thai, you'll be able to pick up some of the phrases used by the Thai themselves. For example, I believe I once heard a lady say "kwam sonjai haai pai laew ka" after being quoted a price. I don't know how well that works in the way of trying to reduce the price, but it gets the point across - "it's expensive, and I've lost interest."

Archived